Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vegan BBQ side dish needed

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Yea I know. There is no such thing. But besides salad and vegetarian baked beans what other side dish can work with a southern style pulled pork BBQ?  Having a party and one guy is vegan. Gonna smoke two butts, homemade sauces, sides, and a bourbon sweet tea cocktail, so southern all the way. If I went to a vegan's house, would they make me a special meat dish?  I doubt it but I'm trying to play nice. Suggestions?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Grilled zucchini
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Salad dressing and the green, green grass of home.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options
    make a salad with grilled romaine. 

Something with sweet potatoes.

White bean hummus with roasted red peppers (and other peppers if he likes heat).
    NOLA
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

do a medley of grilled veggies- grill onions, red and green cabbage cut up into 2" squares and roast in a pan with EVOO, sliced eggplant, and yellow and green zucchini.  use green and red cabbage.  the colors really shine through.  red, and orange peppers grill roasted have a nice color and flavor burst too.

This sounds complicated but it isn't.  just start with an aluminum pan and start with the onions, then a few mins later add the cabbage, then the eggplant, then the peppers and lastly the zucchini.  Mushrooms add a nice rich flavor as well and add them midway thru

Every time I've made this it's been a huge hit.  Of course, I serve this underneath a couple of spatch chix or fanned out sliced steak of some sort-family style.  you can't go wrong.  Heck, add a little tofu and it'll soak up some of the veggie juices.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    Salad dressing and the green, green grass of home.
    Ok my suggestion dripped of scarcasm, but realistically that is 1 person out of how many guests? It's nice of you to accommodate him to an extent, but besides all else you are preparing then I don't see why you need to make a lot of food just for him. Besides unless he is "one of those" espousing his food preference then maybe he would just as soon not be spotlighted amongst all your meat eating guests! OTOH if your spread will be served buffet style then unless your special dishes for him are marked "vegan for BillyBob" then unsuspecting guests may take some from each dish so when BillyBob gets to them he has nothing to eat! Good luck being a host going the extra mile for one person.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
    edited May 2016
    Options
    buzd504 said:

White bean hummus with roasted red peppers (and other peppers if he likes heat).
    Like this?  http://thevegan8.com/2015/10/15/oil-free-barbecue-white-bean-hummus/
    Would I really need to find vegan Worcestershire sauce?  You think he'd notice?
    Member since 2009
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    grilled corn with evoo salt and pepper

ABT's with cilantro rice stuffing

grilled asparagus

One of those grilled portabellos that Darby posted a few days back

It's not that hard. Just grill some veg that you would eat too. Ask him what he likes. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm in the grilled veg camp (zucchini, red pepper, onion, etc).  Lots of people will eat them.  You can even cook them early if you want and drizzle with some good olive oil and vinegar, serve them chilled or room temp.  

Cubed sweet potato, squash, while garlic cloves and some pearl onions cooked in a foil packet until they're caramelized are really nice as well.  Add some good olives or portobello mushrooms if you want a richer flavor.  Toss in a sprig of rosemary or thyme if you have it.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Grilled eggplant. 
    Grilled pineapple. 
    Grilled peaches with cinnamon and brown sugar.
    Grilled Brussel spouts.
    Grilled just about any veggie.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

grilled asparagus

It's not that hard. Just grill some veg that you would eat too. Ask him what he likes. 

You beat me to it.  I was gonna suggest corn, cream cheese and cilantro poppers and stuffed ports.  Great minds...

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Convert him
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Grill up some Portobello Shrooms!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    In all seriousness. . . is quinoa vegan.  My wife makes alot of those types of dishes with no meat.  She throws some sauteed sweet potato cubes and maybe goat cheese or feta on it.  . . Delicious 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
    Options
    Remember now Matt, no dairy. I think I'll do the BBQ hummus. I know my Lea and Perrins has fish in it though. 
    Member since 2009
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

grilled asparagus

You beat me to it.  I was gonna suggest corn, cream cheese and cilantro poppers and stuffed ports.  Great minds...
    Vegan, no cheese. And I'm guessing this will be served buffet style, just let the guest know which dishes are vegan, no need to call it out or make a big deal of it. Lots of suggestions here. I really like the sound of the cilantro rice stuffed ABTs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
    Options
    Quinoa is a seed. 
    Member since 2009
    Options
    But no bacon wrap on the ABT. Simpler to convert him. Maybe after I give him a few of the bourbon cocktails he'll change his mind. 
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    DMW said:

grilled asparagus

Vegan, no cheese. And I'm guessing this will be served buffet style, just let the guest know which dishes are vegan, no need to call it out or make a big deal of it. Lots of suggestions here. I really like the sound of the cilantro rice stuffed ABTs.
    Good thing I'm not cooking for @500 friend.   Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I don't understand how I can go to a vegans house for a cookout and have to eat sawdust but if they come to my house I'm supposed to produce good food? Just sayin...Im so done with this sh!t....
  • Legume
    Options
    if you're going to do corn, squeeze of lime and some chili powder and salt is really good too.
  • Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    Options
    Split poblano and stuff with whole kernel corn or a mex type corn, black beans, maybe some brown rice.
    Niceville, Fl
    Options
    I got it. 

These are tasty. 
    Member since 2009
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Jalapeño stuffed with cheese, peppers, and wrapped in bacon......for you.

Grill a piece of lettuce for your "friends"

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Marinated portobellos are really easy to do.

For the marinade:
    3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
    2 tbs soy sauce
    3 tbs balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable broth or water, or wine if you are feeling fancy

Marinate the mushrooms for at least an hour, then grill at 350º to 400º starting gill side down first for about 5 minutes or until the gill side gets a bit toasty-brown. Flip, spoon some of the marinade onto the gill side, and cook for another 5-7 minutes until they are cooked through. 

• Legume
    Options
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Place a boatload of root veggies, tomatoes, pepper medley, butter, shrooms and herbs.and seal in HDAF and cook till aldente.  Remove from foil (reserve cooking liquid) place veggies on grill to finish. Reduce by half thereserved liquid, finish with more butter.  Pour over plated veggies.  I have done this at the Texas fest.  I have also done 4 lbs of marinated brussel sprouts...they were not vegitarian cause they were cooked in bacon fat.   :-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
    Options
    Place a boatload of root veggies, tomatoes, pepper medley, butter, shrooms and herbs.and seal in HDAF and cook till aldente.  Remove from foil (reserve cooking liquid) place veggies on grill to finish. Reduce by half thereserved liquid, finish with more butter.  Pour over plated veggies.  I have done this at the Texas fest.  I have also done 4 lbs of marinated brussel sprouts...they were not vegitarian cause they were cooked in bacon fat.   :-)
    Sounds good but no butter for vegans. Will have to make this for the omnivores. 
    Member since 2009