Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations for Pizza Stones

Options
I want to get a pizza stone for my LBGE but there are so many choices and I don't think they are all created equally, especially given the heat of the egg. Recommendations for specific stones or what to look for in a good stone? Thanks!
LBGE Chicago, IL

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

I have the deep dish one from BGE. That way I have 2 for the price of one. Make a deep dish one way, flip it over for a flat stone the other way. All pizza stones are not created equal.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @kbr718  Welcome

I looked around aftermarket, thinking there would be something better than the BGE stones, probably for cheaper.  All the review were so solid on the BGE stones that I went that way.  I only have two of them, but they have preformed well.

Phoenix 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Big Green Egg stones or Ceramic Grill Store stones most of the others will crack.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/15-round-ceramic-stone-large

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome @kbr718, I have the Big Green Egg stone and highly recommend it.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have been cooking the last two years with a baking stone I purchased for $25.00 at a place called "The World Market". Although rated for cooking in temps up to 450F, it has regularly seen temps at 600F+. It is used just about every Thursday night, typically multiple cooks. It has held up well thus far, and for the money, I think I have easily gotten my money's worth. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Troykahack
    Troykahack Posts: 38
    Options
    I bought mine in a rush from Bed Bath and Beyond.  They had a least 5 types.  I bought the thickest on that sat on a SS carrier with handles.  I have only used it twice but both times has done and excellent job.  The one I bought was 14 1/2 inches .  Not sure how long it will hold up.  Did one cook around 400 for 15 minutes and tried a high heat for less (~600) 
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • Troykahack
    Options
    typing is poor.  The ceramic sat on a stainless plate that had handles.  The cost was about $40.  BBB had several but I found this one to be more like those sold by BGE and CGS.  I would have bought the CGS model but I needed it that day.  When and if it breaks, I will order one from CGS and use the pieces for other things.
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My BGE stone is almost 7 years old. Has been used in egg and oven at temps as high as 900°.Good as new. If I ever need another one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy BGE's stone.

That said, it will still break if dropped. My 1/4" steel plate makes a fine pizza, doubles as a griddle and will never break. From the surplus/cut-off pile at a local metal dealer. $12. Or, you can buy them from bakingsteel.com for about $80.

Disclaimer: My steel is too large for my egg so I have never tried it there. When I need a griddle, I put it on my old Weber kettle. Coals at one end, nothing at the other... two zone heat. For pizza, it goes into my oven. I keep meaning to get a smaller piece to fit the egg, though that would give me only one temp "setting". Maybe one of these days. I haven't used the egg for pizza in a good three years now so I'm in no rush.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I have an Emile Henry stone that I bought before my Egg because it was really cheap on Woot. It has held up very well. However, now that I have an Egg, if I find myself looking for a new one, I'd go BGE or Ceramic Grill Store.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite. Both the BGE and CGS stones meet this.  If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The ones that CGS sells are also sold on Amazon.  Same price but Tom has much better customer service and I have always gotten overnight service from Tom......Can't say the same for Amazon.  

PS don't us the one from Pampered Chef it will crack.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    BGE stone here after killing SWMBO's 2 Pampered Chef stones. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Troykahack
    Options
    Free shipping with Amazon Prime and two days or pay about $8 more for next day.
    LBGE May 2016
    Ormond Beach, FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Tom is also a much nicer guy than that amazon guy....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    BGE all the way. 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    The BGE stone is absolutely worth it. It will retain heat for multiple pizzas, and after using one for 7 years I have zero concerns about it breaking in use. I had a cheap stone that I used frequently for two years, until it broke at the least convenient moment.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I got the Dough Joe Pizza Stone from amazon  http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Joe®-Pizza-Baking-Stone-Round/dp/B00BD9CC7Q

The shipping is quiet steep, but it is the best pizza stone I've used .. I also have the BGE & Emille Henry.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options

Big Green Egg stones or Ceramic Grill Store stones most of the others will crack.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/15-round-ceramic-stone-large

We have a Pampered Chef stone as well as one from  the Ceramic Grill Store. The Pampered Chef one is noticeably thinner than the CGS one. Suppose that is why some stones crack....
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Tom is also a much nicer guy than that amazon guy....
    DAMN RIGHT on that statement!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Staygold
    Staygold Posts: 45
    Options
    I'd like to get a BGE stone but for the large it's only 14". CGS has a 16" that I'd rather have for my LBGE. Does BGE make a 16"?
    LBGE #76 Georgia Mountain Eggfest 2016
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I cracked my CGS stone last summer, bought a $10 replacement at the local kitchen store when I had to replace it in a hurry. Measures about 5/8" thick and 15" diameter. So far so good. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    Options
    I have the Old Stone Oven 16 inch pizza stone, available from Amazon for $42 with free shipping.  Very heavy, and it you look at pictures, it has built in feet on bottom so it is raised off grate--giving you an edge to lift by.  Rated to 2000 degrees.  No problems with mine and I have had several years.  I think I picked it b/c it was the top rated one by Cooks Illustrated since I usually check equipment out there.  Here is link and you can see bottom in some of the photos:  http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-Round-Pizza/dp/B0000E19MW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464048322&sr=8-2&keywords=old+stone+oven+pizza+stone