Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help!

Options
Trying my first slow cook. I am now shopping for a Flame Boss or something similar. It has to be worth the money.

I put my 9 lb. butt on at about 9:30 pm and kept the dome temp. between 225 and 250 until about 1:00am. The internal temp of the meat was 105 at that time. I fell asleep.......at 7am the dome temp was a little below 200 and meat was 138. I opened the vents a little and had no problem getting it back to 250. I am in no hurry to finish. This is really just a test.

2 questions:
I understand about the stall but would this occur as low as 140?
Would you be worried about the meat being safe? It was below 140 for 11 hours.

Thanks for any input. 
Salisbury, NC
Large Big Green Egg

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    You truly don't know how long the meat was below 140 as it could have gone above and when you saw it at 138 it was on its way down.  I would have no issues with finishing the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your meat is safe, your cooking it to IT greater than 180 and probably more like 203.  The stall typically is around 160 and can last an hour or 2+.  Your all good.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You are good.  The external temp of the meat was above 140 the interpretation meat was never exposed to contamination.  No worries there. 
    You can have 2 stalls instead of one.  The can occur as low as 130-135 all the way up to 180 with most being between 150-175. 

Carry on.... You are good to go!  Enjoy and relax. You are in for a great meal. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Buy the way, I do not have any pit controller and have done dozens of overnight cooks.  Once stable the egg is fine for me and in 6 years never had a fire go out.  I sleep well too!
    Large and MiniMax

• lousubcap
    Options
    As @Sea2Ski  notes, the key is stable.  You mention the 225-250*F band over the course of the evening.  It was likely trending downward when you checked out, thus the drop.  And for your first-overnight cook, it could have gone a lot further south.  All's well that ends well.  Enjoy the journey and follow-on eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EngnrFshrmn
    EngnrFshrmn Posts: 16
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Got the dome at 275 and meat is at 140 and holding. We'll carry on. 
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • EngnrFshrmn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As @Sea2Ski  notes, the key is stable.  You mention the 225-250*F band over the course of the evening.  It was likely trending downward when you checked out, thus the drop.  And for your first-overnight cook, it could have gone a lot further south.  All's well that ends well.  Enjoy the journey and follow-on eats.
    You are probably right. I just couldn't leave it alone. Had to keep making adjustments to the bottom vent looking for the perfect 250. I'm learning. 
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I agree that I think you are fine. I find that if I maintain 260 to 275 dome temp it will stay steady the entire cook.
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    Options
    There is a learning curve.  That said, if you get the BGE stable within +/- 15*f of your target temperature, then let it do its thing.  Chasing temps will lead you on a "no-win" journey.  And most LBGE's have a low&slow sweet-spot somewhere in the 240-270*F range.  FWIW-
  • EngnrFshrmn
    Options
    Been 160 for an hour. I think this is the real stall.
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I had the same thing happen last night. Got up to find the dome temp at 160* and IT in the butt at 130*  Don't know how long it was in the danger zone but I'm going to eat it anyway.  I have done about 30 or so overnight cooks and I'm sure this has happened a few times since my Maverick broke and I've never had an issue. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Been 160 for an hour. I think this is the real stall.
    Yep - you are in the real thing now. Could sit there for 1.2-hrs Do not sweat it unless it is going to mess up your meal deadline. If so, power though it and raise the egg temp to 300 or 325 - it will not hurt a thing and you will not notice.

You got this.

For the rest of us, pictures would be appreciated. Now is fine. Also after being pulled....

Large and MiniMax

• EngnrFshrmn
    Options
    I think I will wait it out. 
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Looks outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Looks great.  I used to chase temps all the time as well.  I found filling the charcoal almost to the plate setter (which I started to do after running out mid cook) helped stabalize things as well.  These guys are right too, the egg has a sweat spot at 250-275.  Trying to keep it at 225 can be tricky.
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    That butt is looking like money, @EngnrFshrmn. My Egg's sweet spot is 275 and that is where I set it for butts. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • EngnrFshrmn
    Options
    Unreal! 17 hours in and only IT of 180. 
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Looking great. You are in for some great eats tonight.  I am doing 2 10 pounders tomorrow myself.   
    Large and MiniMax

• EngnrFshrmn
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys. This place is great! The cook took WAY longer than expected (almost 20 hours) but it somehow turned out delicious. I learned a lot with my first over night cook. Patience with the temp. stabilizing was my biggest problem. Might just try again next weekend.  
    Salisbury, NC
    Large Big Green Egg
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats on seeing it thru to the finish-line.  The cooks do get easier until the pig or cow decides to remind us of who's in charge.  Enjoy the eats as I'm sure you did.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Great looking cook, sometimes you aren't the boss, the cut is.

That said, overnight cooks are far easier on my mind when I use my digiq. I rarely drag it out, but only for overnight cooks, and most of my overnight are just butts, or if I need to have a brisket done at a certain time earlier. Regardless, butts are far more forgiving to temp change, and can sit around alot longer and be fine.

I'm usually golden with a 10-12pm starting time, stable fire, controller holding, and toss on a butt and call it a night. Wake up to something great, and let it finish up around 4-5pm for a 7-8 dinner. Like clock work usually, till you run into a butt like yours! Dont chase... drink a beer instead.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would have estimated 14-18 hours at 250° dome. You cooked at a lower temp for a good bit so 20 hrs is not surprising. As said, butts do tend to have minds of their own anyway. Glad it worked out for you!

Being from Salisbury, I assume you prefer the Lexington #1 style. @Smokinpig came up with some fine looking clone recipes if you are interested. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163980/my-attempt-to-re-create-lexington-nc-bbq-and-slaw-at-home/p1 Scroll down a ways for the recipes..

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut