Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fishing on a rainy day....

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
...not a fisherman so please  excuse the ignorance.  Whence we go to town on 291 we go by a few spots where folks are fishing. Last week we were going to town.. was raining pretty hard. There was several folks "drowning worms". Ernie was asking me why folks were out on the pouring rain fishing. 

So what's the deal with fishing in the rain? Better chance of catching fish? Or were this folks just hiding from their wives?

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    The fish don't care if it's raining.......they'll still bite.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Fishing is a disease/ obsession... just like Egging. If you don't do it, you wouldn't understand. Do you let a little rain keep you from cooking on your Egg? There you go...
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    back in my days our best bass fishing was when it was raining. I always thought the rain disturbs the surface tension which kept bass excited the same way insects disturbed the water tension. But hey, what do I know...maybe fishlessman will stop by and tell us! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    The fish don't care if it's raining.......they'll still bite.
    agree! after all they are already wet!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    Options
    When I lived in Jersey my best friend was an avid fisherman. Joe spent most of his free time fishing. I went with him numerous times...just never got hooked...no pun intended. His favorite time to go fishing was rainy nights...I know he explained why numerous times but I don't remember why...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Rain increases the oxygen level at the surface of the lake/river.  Great topwater fishing in the rain... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    theres a few reasons, rain is usually during low pressure. fish like low pressure and hunker down deep during high pressure. no sun means birds of prey dont see them well, especially if the rain dimples the surface. rain cools the surface and adds oxygen, some species prefer that. just like you dont like staring into the sun, fish dont like it either and go deeper, they also chase bait travelling away from the sun if they can. no sun, some wind, rain means most sport fish are up top. had a great day on salmon sunday, winds from the south, light rain here and there, at noon a high pressure front came in with winds from the north and the catching shut completely down. my boat has a roof and is enclosed, rain doesnt bother me in the least. now at the camp rain shuts the satelite down, no tv =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have no clue, but I understand the obsession people have for fishing. I do know this, on bright sunny days, it is difficult to catch fish in the shallower depths. As soon as the clouds roll in or shade crosses your area, it gets a bit more active. I was told that was due to certain light sensitivity, being that fish have no eyelids. That might be total BS, but after a dozen cans of adult inspiration, I went with it.
    They call it "fishing" and not "catching", for a reason. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dougcrann
    Options
    @fishlessman....Thank you for the explanation.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think the fish are already wet.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @dougcrann you got to be one with the fish. They are wet so you outta get wet to catch more...

On a serious note, most of us that fish in rain have gear to keep us from getting wet. It is much better fishing and fish react much better as someone else mentioned birds and other prey aren't after them and it cools the water temperature and brings them out of the deep waters. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    @fishlessman....Thank you for the explanation.
    the biggest reason is we fish when we can though =) and 9 out of 10 weekends its not as bad as what the weather girl preached all week
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    15-30 min pre- thunderstorm can have some extremely dramatic effects on a bite. If your hair (if you have) stands up on your head, its time to leave
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Low pressure fronts are better than high  pressure. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    As explained in previous posts, there are many reasons for fishing in the rain. I have always found that fishing tends to be better when the rain is light.   When I was growing up, the explanation was that light rain mimicked insects falling into the water.   Fish rose to consume the insects.  Not sure this hypothesis is correct, but it is consistent with my experience.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Because they can.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Fishlessman summed it up pretty well. Less sun, low pressure, more action on the surface, all leads them to start feeding. I love to go hunting and fishing in nice weather. But if you only hunt and fish on the nice days, then you are missing out on the best hunting and fishing days.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Depends on what you're catching.  I mostly fish for speckled trout - they don't bite as much if it's windy or raining.  Red fish love to hunt in the shallows when it's sunny and calm - and you can see them. 

Fish aren't all the same, and fresh water vs salt, marsh vs deep sea, it's all different.
    Options
    Depends on what you're catching.  I mostly fish for speckled trout - they don't bite as much if it's windy or raining.  Red fish love to hunt in the shallows when it's sunny and calm - and you can see them. 

Fish aren't all the same, and fresh water vs salt, marsh vs deep sea, it's all different.
    cant see the fish in skinney water when its windy and raining which poses a problem. no nervous water, no tails, cant see there shadows.tides play the biggest part up here, the last 3 hours incoming, then it dies for an hour, then 45 minutes the beginning of outgoing unless your way out offshore. i dont go offshore much anymore, i like to sight fish stripers inshore though either on foot or in a flat style boat. bonefish in the bahamas are my favorite but the price of those trips has gone out of hand, it amazes me when i see an eyeball 40 feet away and can not see the 8 pound fish attached to it =) sunny water for the salt, dont like tying myself to the boat when the wind picks up anymore
    fukahwee maine