Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory vs. Pecan/Cherry

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a preferred wood for smoking pork that is "middlle of the road"? For example, I am doing a butt and don't won't the smoke to be overpowering for those who are not a fan of heavily smoked meat. I was thinking of Pecan/Apple as opposed to the normal hickory.[p]Any suggestions?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    JA,
    Any fruit wood would be much milder than hickory. Both apple and pecan should be fine with pork.

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    JA, I've used apple and cherry wood when I want a less smokey flavor. Both are particularly good with poultry, which is easily over smoked. I used apple wood on a boston butt a couple weeks ago and my wife, who doesn't like smokey flavors, had nothing but praise.

• Unknown
    Options
    Grillicious,
    I saw a couple of teams using it and gave it a try and really like it now. I'll often mix it with pecan too.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    JA,
    Hickory and Pecan are in the same family of trees if I recall correctly. Most can use pecan because it is more valuable for its nut. Taste in my opinion is close to the same.
    Elder Ward

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Don Sparks,[p]Guava Greg sells guava from hawaii, my wife who doesn't like smoke likes it
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]Hickory and pecan are closely related but pecan has a milder flavour. I find it suits everything - from brisket to turkey. Guava is also very good.[p]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JA,[p]Most importantly when developing a flavor footprint from wood that is not overpowering is to: 1) select the correct amount of wood and 2) let it settle down before putting your meat in the cooker. Type of wood is #3.[p]Everyone has their favorites when it comes to wood or combinations of woods, in time you will figure out which
    one(s) you like the best.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery