Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Taco Question....

Options
My mom requested brisket tacos for Mother's Day Lunch. I've smoked briskets on the egg but they were more of a traditional smoked Texas Bbq brisket. Any suggestions on how to get one ready for tacos? Same way? Dutch oven? Thanks for any help. 

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I can't ever get the search function to work. Thanks! 
Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
Fort Worth ,Texas

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I am of no help with advice on the cook, but I would like to request pics of the cook!  Sounds very good.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• FWRealtor
    FWRealtor Posts: 57
    Options
    I read on one recipe to smoke it for a few hours to get a good flavor base then put it in a foil pan, cover and simmer in some liquid for a few hours. I think I'll try that. 
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I also want to see pics! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smoke a packer and use the point for burnt ends.  Use the burnt ends in your tacos.  If that doesn't add up Google search brisket burnt ends.  Then google search brisket tacos.  Mom will be happy brother.  Y'all have a great Mother's Day!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've had them that are just a slab of brisket in a tortilla and I've had them made from rough chopped brisket.  I like the rough chopped.  Make some fresh pico to go with and maybe some guacamole.

Here's a pic of Valentina's brisket taco.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I use chopped brisket. Smoke the same way as a regular brisket. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The smoked flat, roughly chopped is what I would use, the point is the best part of the cow, which makes excellent burnt ends, or you can knock it out of the park by using it chopped for Tacos, as is or done as burnt ends.
    make some fresh salsa and guac, shred some Kaise cheese, and mom will be honored. 
    Have fun!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    Here is the recipe that I used (with some personal modifications): 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/brisket-tacos-recipe.html

Started the fire this morning at 4:00 with oak lump charcoal and oak chips. Brisket was a 7 lb choice cut from H-E-B. Indirect for 2 hours to set a good smoky flavor base. Put in foil pan at 6:30 and added 2 bottles of Dos Equis Lager, 1 cup water, sliced onions, garlic, and a touch more salt and pepper. Covered the pan and let the magic begin. Had to pull from the egg at 11:30 and finish in the oven because a rain shower came in and extinguished the fire on my open pit that I was going to cook fajitas on. Put brisket in oven and ran 2 rounds of fajita chicken and steak on the egg. Pulled the brisket at 12:30 and it was fall apart tender and absolutely delicious. Mom and my grandmother just raved about it. 

Not how I would typically cook a brisket but it was quite good and, most importantly, they were pleased with it. Some loaded it in a tortilla and made tacos. I loaded some on a pile of chips and had brisket nachos. 

Fort Worth ,Texas
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Reading this post May 7 inspired me to make tacos for mothers day.  3Lb chuckie went on at 250 indirect for 3 hours (150 IT), then into the pan with beef broth (I added more than in the photo), onions and cumin for another 3 hours till it pulled.  Served it on corn tortillas with Pico, Lime wedge, Cilantro and Queso Fresco, spanish rice and beans on the side.  Forgot pics of the tacos since we were hungry.  They were outstanding!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    That looks great! 
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options

@FWRealtor thanks.  it was my first time doing it, but after brisket packers it was simple and tasty.  Thanks for the inspiration!  My wife and mother say thanks too!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120