Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new cast iron . . enough air flow?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Think this setup will cause problems with lack of air flow?  Hoping to use at higher temps around 550-600 for searing steaks, smash burgs, etc.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Plenty, you should have no problem.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• NDG
    Options
    I was worried for two reasons: 1) opening egg at temps that high with lack of air = backdraft flame  2) fat from smash burgers etc dripping over and causing huge flames with nowhere to go
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @NDG, is that a Lodge 14" pizza pan? I have one and wondered it there was enough of a gap to run around 600 on the large BGE.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NDG
    Options
    @dredger . . yes it is.  I am on a gadget freeze (no propane blackstone griddle in my near future) so wanted to add more griddle space compared to the square reversable.  Not so sure this is best route?
    Columbus, OH

• Dredger
    Options
    @NDG, I have the same concerns as you about backdraft and lack of air flow. I thought about raising it a little higher with either the spider or AR, just still not sure I want to block that much air off. Been trying to find something around 13". Does the square one fit in the large egg? I also have the Lodge reversible griddle that is 9 1/2" X 16 3/4" that does work with the AR, but not on the regular grill level.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NDG
    Options
    I hear you . . this is pic of raised direct . . . proud to gasket level.  Better air flow but not sure how much the cast iron surface temp will drop?  This might be the best.  I will let others chime in.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @dredger . . click this link to see my square reversaable CI in action doing some smash burgers http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194072/smash-burgers-on-homemade-sourdough/p1
    Columbus, OH

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you'll be ok.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks Tom . . . straight from the expert . . case closed! 
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you will be fine as far as airflow and temp.  It appears to me that the opening around the diameter is comparable to the draft door wide open.  I think grease overflow might be a concern depending on how fatty and how many burgers you want to cook. 

Have you considered something like the sizzle Q? 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184462/does-your-egg-want-to-play-too/p1

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 483
    Options
    I've got that exact pan. Works great at regular or raised. Done lots of steaks and burgers. The handles are snug but you'll be fine. 
    Austin, TX
  • NDG
    Options
    thanks yall
    Columbus, OH

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I just saw your second pic, one with the griddle at the fire ring.  Might be a little careful as this is felt line.  the high heat could push to your felt and damage the gasket.  I see it you have a rutland gasket, so this more for folks with the stock gaskets.  

as a side note if you want to raise the cast iron half way between the fire ring and felt line, the spider can do it in the inverted up position.  the link below uses the bge large ci grid but it works with any flat surface grid or griddle.  Nice way to get the grid/griddle up for easier use of turners when flipping burgers but still close to heat for more energy into the grid/griddle.   t

https://ceramicgrillstorepics.com/spiderlargebge/spider_18cigrid.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks Tom, another great use for the spider. I was concerned about the gasket as well. We'll try this this weekend to cook some filets for the crowd. Will post pics. I really appreciate your input on this. Feeling much better about using this CI pan. I had a feeling that grate level=not so good.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC