Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry! Another pizza question

Options
Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You'd think I wouldn't have to ask this question, because some much has been discussed on this topic, but the truth is I really don't have a clue. I searched the archives with no luck.[p]I'm getting ready to cook my first pizza on the egg. I know how to set the cook up and I know what temp to cook at 550-600 degrees.[p]Question is: How long do I cook the pizza for? Do I keep opening the lid and checking to see if the cheese and toppings look done?[p]I'm cooking a fresh "muffaletta" pizza that was put together by a local Italian deli. No cooking directions come with this pizza. Can I expect 30 min and hour or more?
I'll take some pictures and post the results.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    If you are at that high a temp for 30 minutes, your going to make charcoal out of that pizza. My guess would be 10 minutes. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]I think I would check that out at about 4 minutes - just a peak though!![p]Gaspar

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    Take a flashlight and look through the top vent to check on progress.[p] The set up should be:
    Full load of lump burned down for twenty minutes for a dome temp of 500~700º F.
    Plate setter with legs down, and pizza stone on top. Just before putting on the pizza, dust with cornmeal. (you should also have cornmeal on pizza peel before building the pizza)
    Work fast to get the pizza on the stone, you don't want to lose any dome heat.
    Pizza is better with smaller amounts of sauce and toppings. Keeping it simple is the key to good pizza.
    Good luck,[p]Report back so we'll know how it went!

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    I forgot to mention that you'll get a pretty brown crust if you brush it with a little olive oil and sprinkle a little pizza seasoning on with some kosher salt before going to the grill[p]cheers!
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    My experience is that at 500° the Pie will probably be done in about 6 minutes. Good luck.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    SuperDave,
    Just finished the cook and already ate two peices. Did pretty much just like you suggested. Crust came out perfect. The toppings weren't exactly simple, it was loaded down, I really felt like it could have cooked a little longer. Anyway it was great.[p]I'm going to start another thread with some pictures right now. Let me know what ya think.