Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC question

Options
i started a brisket around midnight and I'm moving along nicely but I think it may finish earlier than planned. Not in any hurry today so I was wondering what my limits are for FTC for the brisket. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've read you can 8-9-10 hours FTC with a bigger brisket. Probably will need to heat up if much longer 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    What size brisket? What temp are you cooking at? 
    Brandon, MS
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    It's about 8# after it was trimmed. Was going about 230-250 at he grate. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    What is your meat temp? The brisket likes to play games.  You may stay at 160 for two hours.  You may hit 160 then observe the temp fall to 157. Stay the course.  Do not let this alarm you or change the temp that your egg is running.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have held a 12 pounder for 5-6 hours before.  Put the towls in the dryer on high for 20 minutes and fill your cooler up with about 5" of hot water from your tap for 20 minutes so and close the lid.  This has helped me a lot.  Dump the waterr out, dry with another towl and put you brisket in.  You will wasn't to do this just before you think you are going to take it off.  Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Meat temp is about 180. Might be starting to crawl out of the stall. I was hoping to at least get to 12 and hold it until dinner.  

Thanks!!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    If you are going to serve around 2 hours after you have cooked it.  Do not foil and cooler.  Leave it loosely wrapped and let the temp come down to 160ish before you slice.  

The reason I say 2 hours, is because that's generally how long it takes mine to come down to that temp after I pull from the pit.

But if it's a long time, go ahead and FTC and pull out and let it start resting and come down to 160ish before you slice.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Should you go the FTC route, make sure to give it a good 20 mins or so on a cooling rack before the "wrap and pack" to stop the carry-over cooking.  And as above, with a prepped el-cheapo cooler you can easily get 7-8 hours of FTC and the meat will still be in the high 140's when time to slice on demand.  Ideally your cooler size will be just a little larger than the brisket to minimize the air volume.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.