Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camp chef flat top?

Options
first off, I love my egg and haven't used my really nice Weber gasser for several years. I put a gas burner on my egg table and use it to sear, mushrooms, veggies, etc in a CI or carbon steel pan. 

So im thinking of storing my gasser in the shed and filling the whole with a flat top to compliment my eggs. I been looking at the camp chef over the blackstone because it also converts to a really big grill should I ever find myself needing to grill for 50 people lol. 

I welcome opinions from people that either did it thought about a flat top and decided against it. Camp chef vs blackstone? 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    CC. Been looking at these also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was considering the Blackstone until I found out about the CC. I'm leaning that way for when I purchase a flat top as well. There's a guy who has both that has his assessment of the two on youtube if you search. If I remember correctly, he just got the CC so hadn't actually used it yet but it's just his impressions from having both.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAoGUup8rXk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I used to have a camp chef with a massive >1/4" steel flat top griddle that sat on top.  I loved it, it fed us for many, many years of camping with friends.  I thought we still had it until I was reminded we donated it to HS booster club for their fundraisers.

The one we had had two round burners and a grid, it was designed for big pots or skillets but they sold the flat top that replaced the grid.  The only issue we had was that it had hot spots d/t the round burners as it wasn't a dedicated griddle.  As with anything, once you learn it, you work with it.

I can't compare to a Blackstone, but the Camp Chef was built really well and I wouldn't hesitate with that brand.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I actually own both. A 16" 3x camp Chef stove with a griddle that covers two eyes and their 3 eye griddle. I also have a 36" blackstone.

The blackstone is a better griddle. If your only concern is a griddle, then it's a superior griddle. The surface is smoother, the heat is more even and easier to control. But not by a lot. 

The camp chef is WAY more versatile. Being a 3x stove it can do much more than griddle. It's also a lot more portable and it has accessories that make it a very capable gas grill and the pizza oven accessory has awesome reviews.  It has more power than the blackstone as well if that matters to you (my blackstone gets plenty hot for me)  On the camp chef, you can easily fry/boil/wok. You aren't doing that on the blackstone.

Both are great products made by great companies.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looks like it would work well.

The good thing about the camp chef one is more power. Instead of 4 15k tubes you are using 2 30k burners in a more confined area. I can get a hell of a sear on my gas grill box.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Probably depends on what you want to cook.  We regularly camped with 4-5 families and a crapton of kids.  We could boil water for spaghetti, make big pots of chili, lots of versatility, but as I said, round burners = hot spots do it wasn't great for pancakes.
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. The unit I was looking at has 4 tube type burners like the blackstone. It will sit on my covered patio and not really need to travel. The above video shows its about 4 inches smaller than the blackstone but not a big deal for me. I'd  like to do everything from breakfast to smash burgers and stir frys. 

Blackstone seems to have a big following on the Internet but I trust the CC name. Plus the grease catcher seems to be a common complaint with the BLackstone. Pricing is about the same from what I'm seeing. I wish I could see both in the same place to compare. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. The unit I was looking at has 4 tube type burners like the blackstone. It will sit on my covered patio and not really need to travel. The above video shows its about 4 inches smaller than the blackstone but not a big deal for me. I'd  like to do everything from breakfast to smash burgers and stir frys. 

Blackstone seems to have a big following on the Internet but I trust the CC name. Plus the grease catcher seems to be a common complaint with the BLackstone. Pricing is about the same from what I'm seeing. I wish I could see both in the same place to compare. 

I think Grim gave an excellent synopsis.  In regards to the grease catcher, 6 bucks and less than 30 seconds makes it a permanent non issue.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189012/blackstone-simple-grease-trap-fix-accessories#latest

I'd say the BS is my fav cooking appliance; certainly the most used.  I will never again be without a griddle.

Phoenix 
  • jbjet45
    jbjet45 Posts: 52
    Options
    I agree w/ @blasting, I use my Blackstone more than the wife cooks inside.  My whole family loves it.  My kids favorite goto foods are burgers on the blackstone and pizza on the egg....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

Get the Blackstone then. They actually take the time to sand the griddle surface and that makes a HUGE difference. It's a better griddle surface for sure.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    It is my understanding that certain models of the CC can be converted to natural gas and the Blackstone cannot without voiding the warranty.  I am leaning towards the CC.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I'm sure you will be happy either way. I'm selling my BS because the camp chef portable model works well enough and I don't want to maintain 3 griddle surfaces anymore
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We have the same Camp Chef Expeditioon that @Thatgrimguy does and love it for the same reasons he does. It's portable and you can use the griddle, which has diffuser plates on the bottom, or pots, skillets, and a wok. We also got the pizza oven and it's the bomb. We were seriously considering the Blackstone, which looks like very solid piece of equipment, until we saw the pizza oven. That did it for us. You guys know what a sucker I am for gadgets. =)

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just to throw out a suggestion- if you already have a good grill that is just going to end up in the shed you could consider one of the griddle tops like the little griddle.  

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Griddle-GQ230-Professional-Series/dp/B00CBDBV8Y

I haven't used one of these but they get solid reviews.  Might be worth a look. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree @SmokeyPitt or the Kettle Q. It's a solid unit for the egg also not to go OT
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I have one of these. Works well. I bought it to take camping with me. I instead bought the smaller portable BS to take camping so I got no use for it anymore. 

I'd sell mine if someone was interested. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Scott805 said:
    It is my understanding that certain models of the CC can be converted to natural gas and the Blackstone cannot without voiding the warranty.  I am leaning towards the CC.
    Natural gas conversion is just orifice and gas regulator. Wonder why that would vold warranty 
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    @Dredger how does that pizza oven work for you? Better than a stone in the egg? And what size pizzas can you fit? Thank you!
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Dredger
    Options
    @tjosborne, love the pizza oven. It's ready to go in a matter of minutes and holds a constant temp for multiple pies. Don't get me wrong, still love zas on the egg, but it just depends on what we're doing and how many we need to make. The Camp Chef pizza oven that we have is for the 16 inch deep systems and has an actual cooking stone size of 15" X 20". They also make a pizza oven for their 14 inch deep systems. Not sure on the cooking size on those. I like using pizza screens and you can get any size you want and they come in one inch increments from 8 inches up to 20 inches. For our oven, a 14 inch is pushing it. I can get two 10's or two 8's in at a time with no problem. If it's just hubby and I, a 12 inch is our go to screen size. Hope that helps.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @tjosborne, love the pizza oven. It's ready to go in a matter of minutes and holds a constant temp for multiple pies. Don't get me wrong, still love zas on the egg, but it just depends on what we're doing and how many we need to make. The Camp Chef pizza oven that we have is for the 16 inch deep systems and has an actual cooking stone size of 15" X 20". They also make a pizza oven for their 14 inch deep systems. Not sure on the cooking size on those. I like using pizza screens and you can get any size you want and they come in one inch increments from 8 inches up to 20 inches. For our oven, a 14 inch is pushing it. I can get two 10's or two 8's in at a time with no problem. If it's just hubby and I, a 12 inch is our go to screen size. Hope that helps.
    Nice....now will we see you at Butt Blast?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Options
    @northGAcock, you have no idea how much we want to attend. We could use a fun weekend like nobody's business. If it were held in Asheville, we could come for a day, but Salisbury is out of the question. We have so much going on in dealing with probate for my fil's estate and now we have a sick 14 year old cat that is not doing well. We are up every 2 hours checking on her and giving her medicine during the night and day. Daughter could come for a day, but not an overnight to take care of her. Geez, I'm tired. Please know that I will be there in spirit and would be drinking @YukonRon and Suzy's slushies with the rest of you guys. I could use a few right now.

Here's a pic of our little princess, so positive thoughts please from everyone.

Obviously, this is a pic of a much younger Gracie Lou Baldwin, but she's still beautiful.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Dredger
    Hang in there, these things will work their way out. It may not seem like there is light at the end of the tunnel, but there is. It will get better, and we are pulling for you. I and certainly Robin, and many others (if I may presumptuous to do so) will lift a glass in your honor. 14 years for a pet, (which is a member of the family), in your care, I doubt it could get better than that. Hoping it works out for Gracie Lou Baldwin, as well.
    See you in 2018. Start planning today. :hang_loose:
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon. I really appreciate that. Thank Robin for me too. Luckily, I am a very optimistic person and I know things will work out for the best. Hubby calls me Pollyanna a lot, but it works for me. Gracie Lou is a little scrapper and always wins. I just hope she wins this one. We wanted to come to Butt Blast very badly this year. We need it about now. Will be making plans for 2018 for sure.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @northGAcock, you have no idea how much we want to attend. We could use a fun weekend like nobody's business. If it were held in Asheville, we could come for a day, but Salisbury is out of the question. We have so much going on in dealing with probate for my fil's estate and now we have a sick 14 year old cat that is not doing well. We are up every 2 hours checking on her and giving her medicine during the night and day. Daughter could come for a day, but not an overnight to take care of her. Geez, I'm tired. Please know that I will be there in spirit and would be drinking @YukonRon and Suzy's slushies with the rest of you guys. I could use a few right now.

Here's a pic of our little princess, so positive thoughts please from everyone.

Obviously, this is a pic of a much younger Gracie Lou Baldwin, but she's still beautiful.
    While disappointed..... I completely understand. Family first always applies.......especially when pets are involved. You will be missed...and assure you we will raise a glass in your honor.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @northGAcock. That means a lot. I trust you guys will post many pictures from the weekend so we can live vicariously through everyone having fun.
    we will raise a glass in your honor 

Could you make it two glasses? Both a slushie and a bloody Mary? We'll try to join here in solidarity. I'll have to cut that slushie recipe down to a manageable size and I think we'll be okay for the bloody Mary. I know a lot of you will be hitting the road soon to get there, so please be careful and safe.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC