Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Masters- SRF Brisket

Options
Got home last night a little earlier than planned from Augusta, and decided I was gonna do the brisket I had thawed out last week in the fridge. 

Around a 12 pounder, SRF Black brisket.. Quick trim this morning, some fresh ground pepper, salt and a smidge of coffee. Rubbed on, and into the large Egg, with post oak, and a couple chunks pecan. I like a little pecan with my beef, we used both as a kid growin up in CenTex.

Anywho- Masters Sunday is upon us, and the leaders have just taken the course. 60-65 here in Georgia, plenty of sunshine, calm winds finally, and enjoying the company of my 3 little boys, all in our Masters gear and hats. This is holiday in our home!

Pics to come as it finishes- it's my 3rd SRF brisket I've done, hope it was as good as the last from the Superbowl.

She's wrapped up in some butcher paper for the time being, was around 170-180, and got the egg temp dropping down a bit for a slower cook, and then I'll put it in the yeti and wait until dinner time!
-FATC1TY
Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
LBGE
MiniMax

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I did mine Friday night into yesterday evening. Really good beef flavor. Was slightly disappointed in the tenderness of the flat but oh my Lord the point was amazing. The flat probed well at about 187. Maybe I should have let it ride a bit longer.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I did mine Friday night into yesterday evening. Really good beef flavor. Was slightly disappointed in the tenderness of the flat but oh my Lord the point was amazing. The flat probed well at about 187. Maybe I should have let it ride a bit longer.
    Yeah I love the flavor. I also think 187 is a bit low myself. I like195-200 for the most I've done and the flat is always great. Just worries if it drying up but haven't seen thst recently with srf briskets 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Man I bet that will be good. Waiting around for sliced pics 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard of SRF brisket finishing a little earlier in the 185-190 range. So I just went with it. I'm going to go get my regular brisket that I have access to every day and try to cook it this week so I'll have this cook fresh in my mind for a comparison.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I am a firm believer in the feel in the thickest part of the flat-temperature being only a guide.  That said, I have learned that the higher quality of the cut the wider the finish-line window.  That said, that should not really impact the texture once you get the feel.  But, I'm not from Texas so I'm just theorizing here.  Regardless, any brisket cook is great fun on the BGE, the results, only a bonus.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.