Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What goes on a Hot Dog?

Options
I'm referring ONLY to Ketchup or Mustard.       This is a HUGELY polarizing issue in my family.   I maintain that the only thing a hotdog needs is MUSTARD while others like ketchup.   Even Dirty Harry agrees that Ketchup doesn't belong on a hotdog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84GKxy7b0

I'll tabulate this if given a meaningful sample.

Just reply Ketchup or Mustard.   I know the rest.   Cheese?  Dill Pickle?   Onion?   BACON?  Chili?  

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a coney joint.  They're typically served with chili, yellow mustard & diced raw onion and are good.  The natives (I'm not from here) frown on chup big time!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I like ketchup and chili if it's what I consider traditional. Otherwise I'd say put anything that'd fit in the bun and not be too messy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    S'posedly, ketchup has the same spices that are already in the hot dog, so its unnecessary. I don't think that is quite true, but it seems there is a fair amount of overlap. I haven't come cross a hot dog recipe yet that has mustard in it.

I'm not so doctrinaire. When I was a kid, I couldn't stand mustard, so dogs always had ketchup. With age, I don't like the sweetness in most ketchup, so I rarely use it now.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Cheek Wiz (the only time I eat it), mustard, ketchup, onions and sweet relish.  I guess anything to mask the taste of the hot dog.    

Also must be French's ketchup, now that I found out it's made from local tomatoes.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

The dog I ate yesterday had this mustard on it and it was quite good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Mustard!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Ketchup, mustard, and cheese.
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    Sticking to the original thread choice -   Mustard!!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Mustard
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • boonville-john
    Options
    mustard & Kraut
    Southern Indiana
    large Egg & Weber kettle
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I agree with @EggNorth

The more crap you can put on it the better. (Eventually hides the fact it's a hot dog)

I'll go ketchup and mustard if given the option of both. I'll take spicy/hot mustard way before yellow mustard though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I prefer both but if I had to choose 1 single condiment that SHOULD be on a dog, it would be mustard.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Authenticity and hot dog are not things that need to go together. To the OP's point, mustard. It's all I need. Now if you have some onions I'd appreciate it but I can make do with mustard. My kids like ketchup....so ketchup they get. No probs on my side.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Ketchup, lots of it!

Options
    i put whatever i want on it.

i thought everyone else did the same.  :)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ketchup, mustard, chili, slaw, onion.  

I also like mayo on my dogs!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mustard

"Everybody knows there's three acceptable condiments for a hot dog. There's mustard, onions and stagnant cart water." Jon Stewart

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    mustard, onion, chili, and coleslaw

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Mustard! If that's all you got, that's perfectly fine. If you have a good chili sauce, onions, relish, or cheese that's all the better. I don't know why anybody would want to put ketchup on a hot dog.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm a bit less concerned about what goes on them than what goes in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzUm7UEEIY

Flo's in Maine has a nice house sauce/relish that combines well with mayo and celery salt.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    womaus said:
    I'm a bit less concerned about what goes on them than what goes in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzUm7UEEIY

Flo's in Maine has a nice house sauce/relish that combines well with mayo and celery salt.

Thanks. Now I want a hot dog.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Mustard.

Though I would put way more on it than just that. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    In my own experience, kids always prefer ketchup, and I did when I was a boy, but for some reason, most people seem to switch to mustard when they're adults.  I don't want ketchup on my hot dog, and if there's just one condiment, it'll be mustard.

But like many others above, I almost always prefer LOTS of stuff on hot dogs!  I grew up in Flint, Michigan, though I haven't lived there for several decades, and I love a Flint Coney Island, which has an unusual, local-to-Flint-only chili that's mild and rather dry, usually served with chopped onions and mustard.  But when I lived in Philly for many years, I came to love hot dogs out of the carts with sauerkraut and/or onions cooked with just a tiny bit of BBQ sauce to give them color and a hint of sweetness.  I make those myself, sometimes.  And I've seen millions of complicated stuff that all sounds wonderful.

But for the OP's original question, for me it'd be mustard.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Both.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Kewpie Mayonnaise.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Mustard.  Not ketchup.

Hot dogs are disgusting, but at the same time are the perfect condiment delivery vehicle.  I'm torn.  Anyone make their own?
    Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited April 2016
    Options
    blasting said:
    Mustard.  Not ketchup.

Hot dogs are disgusting, but at the same time are the perfect condiment delivery vehicle.  I'm torn.  Anyone make their own?
    hot dogs are (usually) ground up beef, garlic, salt, a little nitrite for color and picquancy. maybe paprika

a sausage basically, just one type of sausage.

had good ones and bad ones.  i'd be hard pressed to label them all good or all bad.

you can certainly make your own.  lot of good recipes out there.  emulsification is the thing that makes many of these german sausages so uniform.  weisswurst, etc. and you may not get yours to a truly emulsified slurry-like state.

i have made them, can't find pics, but oh well.  i used the regular casings, and so they are huge dogs.  hot smoked to 150 then into an ice bath.  cook to color later on. freeze the rest

it's not, as my dad used to say "all lips and assh*les".  kosher ones tend to be truest to the traditional recipe. 100% beef, wholesome cuts, etc.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    blasting said:
    Mustard.  Not ketchup.

Lots of dogs sold in America now are probably nothing like the original franks and wieners. Making those required lots of skill, and usually very good cuts of lean beef and veal.

Likewise the original baloney, mortadella.

I don't make my own. Can barely make a simple sausage. But there are 2 places that I buy dogs from that make their own. Good enough that I'll drive 30 miles 1 way just to get them.