Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Putzin'

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2016 in EggHead Forum
The Berkwood Project was completed today.  Created two mountains of opportunity.  Cold smoked for a total of 32 hours on two days, ambients were ideal.

Inventory levels are back to baseline.

Seasoned the 17" Blackstone with the scraps, not much after parfreezing and slicing.

Burgs tonight, ground chuck, Montreal seasoning, cheddar, and chimichurri.  Found a good brew from St. Paul MN, $2.99 for a 4 pack at the gas station down the street, seemed cheap.  Stuff is really good, went back and grabbed four 4 packs.  

Burgers were top notch, plated on the fine china.  Really impressed with the S7s camera.  Thanks for lookin'

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One of the best lookin burgs I have seen in a while.  Really interesting flavor combo with the bacon, cheddar, and churri. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Options
    Thanks much @SmokeyPitt.  It's what I had on hand, and it actually worked.    I have been putting chimichurri on just about everything, a phenomenal condiment, that holds well in the fridge.  Awesome flavors for finishing grilled chicken breasts too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks delicious Brandon. I especially like festive design on your China. Really sets the tone for your meal nicely. Bacon mmmmmmmmmm. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Killer Monday grub for sure! What's the MN beer you found? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    Looks delicious Brandon. I especially like festive design on your China. Really sets the tone for your meal nicely. Bacon mmmmmmmmmm. 
    Thanks Pete.  The china is a collector, a one off from the Aldi Boulder brand.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options

WeberWho said:
    Killer Monday grub for sure! What's the MN beer you found? 
    Thanks V.  It's from Summit, Hopvale Organic.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Those are kick butt burgers, Brandon!  Well played.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Damn.  Now that is my kind of burger.   Looks great.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks guys, lovin' this 17" Blackstone.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great looking burgers and bacon.  I need to try curing and smoking bacon someday.  Yours looks terrific.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Focker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Than@Hawg Fan
    Makin' bacon is rewarding.
    Just do it. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Killer burger @Focker
    Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A chimichurri burger sounds like something I need. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks fantastic. How long do you usually cold smoke a slab of belly for, and with what wood?  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Hey @Focker - how did you do your cold smoke and what wood? What was your cure? I have two bellies of Ruhlman cure that needs to be smoked this week and I was thinking of going cold this time. Thanks in advance.

By the way, killer looking burgers too. I need to get a Blackstone.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Focker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys.

@blind99, @minniemoh
    As for the cure, I use the Briner container and a wet cure/equilibrium brine called Pops' Brine.  It can be adjusted to your taste, sweet vs salt.  Throw it in the Briner, place in the fridge, wait two weeks.  No overhauling.

Cold smoking was done with a Pro-Q cold smoker and Apple A-Maz-N Dust.  Ambients were anywhere from the 40s at night to 60s during the day.  Filled the Pro-Q and lit in the AM, finished later that night until the fire went out.  Bellies stayed in the cooker until the Pro-Q was refilled and relit.  So 16hrs smoke, 8hrs off, 16hrs on, then wrapped and rested in the fridge for a week.  Sliced, then placed in FS bags.  Seemed like the batches I have done before with less smoke time you could barely, if at all, pick up the smoke when served.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've used Pop's Brine before. Great stuff. I liked it anyhow.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Focker said:
    Thanks much @SmokeyPitt.  It's what I had on hand, and it actually worked.    I have been putting chimichurri on just about everything, a phenomenal condiment, that holds well in the fridge.  Awesome flavors for finishing grilled chicken breasts too. 
    Chimichurri is incredible.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Nice burgers, Brandon. I love chimichurri, too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Glad to see you went cold smoke and not hot smoke.
  • Focker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks all.  Herbs, calabrians for heat, good EVOO, salt, pepper, roasted garlic, red wine vinegar....tons of flavor, and versatile.  Keep it in a glass Italian Fido jar, and pull it a few hrs before use to get to room temp.
    hondabbq said:
    Glad to see you went cold smoke and not hot smoke.
    Thanks @hondabbq, cold smoking is the only way to go IMO, same goes for the equilibrium brine.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

that's interesting to hear how long you're smoking for.  I'm piping smoke from the small egg into the big egg, and I feel like I get plenty of smoke flavor after a four hours.  it seems to generate quite a lot of smoke so maybe that's the difference.  (in fact the smoke last weekend was almost acrid - I'm not entirely happy with the result, so I'm letting the bellies mellow a bit before I slice.)

that's cool to see you're using an equilibrium brine. I've started playing around with brines for bacon, as well. most recently it was leftover liquid from an experiment to make crispy pork belly bites.  pork belly is such a great cut of meat!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Focker
    edited April 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:

that's interesting to hear how long you're smoking for.  I'm piping smoke from the small egg into the big egg, and I feel like I get plenty of smoke flavor after a four hours.  it seems to generate quite a lot of smoke so maybe that's the difference.  (in fact the smoke last weekend was almost acrid - I'm not entirely happy with the result, so I'm letting the bellies mellow a bit before I slice.)

that's cool to see you're using an equilibrium brine. I've started playing around with brines for bacon, as well. most recently it was leftover liquid from an experiment to make crispy pork belly bites.  pork belly is such a great cut of meat!

Cool, I like the simplicity of the brine, toss it in, wait, no palpating to feel if it's cured. Lol

The Pro-Qs burn is milder, the smoke smells sweet at all times, alot like it was done traditionally, with small fires burning and smoldering daily on dirt floors in the corner of brick smokehouses.  I hang the slabs on sausage smoking accessory hooks on the WSM, but have used a rib rack in the egg too.  The bacon at my Maid-Rite is awesome, you taste the apple, that's what I'm shooting for.

Many here use the A-Maz-N, same concept and Todd is a nice Minnesoooooohtan.  They're cheap, less hassle.  And a fellow egghead got me an electric hotplate to replace my old school lightbulb for the really cold days here in IA/IL if needed, setup with the chef alarm to get things in the sweet spot of 50-75 or 85 degrees.  Any higher, and you start flirting with the cooking process, like SV.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities