Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IGrill2, Is it Worth Having?

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

The other day I was waiting for my Egg to level off as I was doing other things around the house. This got me thinking about a Blue Tooth device when I don't need my Stoker. It is battery operated I think?

Anyone have one of the IGrill2 devices?

Does it work great?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I like mine. It's nice being able to check temps from inside the kitchen.

However, the bluetooth range is mediocre. I lose connectivity when I move into the living room. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have one I recently got at Sam's that came with 4 probes for $80 or so.  I like it but the range is not great.  It is definitely impacted by walls.  It doesn't work in my office which is only about 40 feet from my egg, but the chimney on my house is right in the line of sight.  Once it looses the connection it can be take a while to find it again.  If I am in my office and I want to check the temperature I find I can just walk outside to the egg in less time than it takes for the app to reconnect to the device. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Options
    I have one I recently got at Sam's that came with 4 probes for $80 or so.  I like it but the range is not great.  It is definitely impacted by walls.  It doesn't work in my office which is only about 40 feet from my egg, but the chimney on my house is right in the line of sight.  Once it looses the connection it can be take a while to find it again.  If I am in my office and I want to check the temperature I find I can just walk outside to the egg in less time than it takes for the app to reconnect to the device. 
    SmokeyPitt Did it have 4 meat probes or 3 and 1 grid or fire probe?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I've got one and I really like it. I haven't experienced all of the bluetooth problems that others have. I was walking around my house with it the other day and it kept updating as normal. I'm sure it'll change once it warms up more outside. Mine came with two meat probes, and I bought the ambient probe with the clip on the idevices website. Google for promo codes, there's usually some online. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hotch said:
    SmokeyPitt Did it have 4 meat probes or 3 and 1 grid or fire probe?
    They are all the same probes- they are basically all meat probes but you can use one for the egg/cooker temp.  I just pull out the dome thermometer and the probe fits in the hole.  It doesn't come with any kind of grid clip but I am sure I could use my old maverick clip or rig something up. The app is nice because you can label the probes and they are color coded.  

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/idevices-igrill2-grill-thermometer/prod15470099.ip

If it wasn't for the range issue I would give this 5 stars for sure.  If you have a pretty clear line of site to your egg it should work fine.  It actually works fine from my bedroom which is upstairs and further away but I think there are less walls to go through. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Options

Thanks, I have always removed the dome thermometer for the temp probes on my Stoker. One in the dome and one at grid level. Good to know it works on this also. Probably will pull the trigger on this one. Should work well in the kitchen box ovens.

Shoot what's another temp device? I have about 8 or 10 already!

Thanks I tell Shelly you guys talked me in to it!!

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @Hotch:  We got ours at Sams's also.  If you want one, but don't have a membership to Sam's, we can pick up a set and bring it to you in Athens.  Just let us know.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Eggobsessed Thanks but with being forced into semi retirement, I may make a run to Sam's. One thing I have these days is time!!!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

I bet with the right clip I can use this on my R&V deep fryer. It is always a PITA to watch it come up to temp. Yep, that's a good reason for it.

Does it have a high alarm notice to your IPhone?

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Would never stand in the way of a man buying new toys.  However, one plus that you mentioned was the battery operation.  Why not continue to use your stoker - after all it has long range operation - and buy a rechargeable battery pack to power the stoker.  Something like this will only cost $25:  http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Rechargeable-3800mAh-Lithium-Connector/dp/B007RQW5WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459265477&sr=8-1&keywords=12+volt+battery+pack+rechargable

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Hotch said:

Does it have a high alarm notice to your IPhone?

It has high/low alarms, as well as pre-determined and custom settings for your cook. An alarm will go off once the desired temp is reached or if your ambiend rises/falls too far.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    It does have alarms on the iphone app.  You can set it for a peak alarm (high limit only) or a range alarm (high and low limits).

• Hotch
    Options

I would not give up my Stokers. I have 3. I always graph and record to my PC with StokerLog when doing longer cooks. Gives me the data to compare say low and slow to hot and fast. Or staged cooks over a longer time with different proteins.

But there are times I just need a simple temp sitter with an alarm. And besides this will work in the kitchen as well. We do quite a few cooks in the oven and stovetop that temps are important. Can set this with a 10-15 degree buffer and not have to watch a POT so to speak.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    It does have alarms on the iphone app.  You can set it for a peak alarm (high limit only) or a range alarm (high and low limits).
    Thanks, pretty much all I need to know to pull the trigger.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • castironman
    Options
    Ive had one of these long before I had an egg. I've used it in the kitchen, gas grills and hacked smokers.
    After a year or more of use, my cons are ...
    1.  the range others had mentioned is not great for me. YM-will-V.
    2.  you cannot pair it to more than one device at a time. For me this would be great as I dont usually carry my iphone all over the house and would like to hook up a second device location for the alarm.
    3. the recommended temp limit I believe is 575 degrees .. so need alternative if pursuing steak/pizza temps (would like to hear if others have surpassed this)
    4. After time and smoking the rubber color coding darkens and gets difficult to tell them apart ... get used to just going off P1, P2, P3, P4 for the readings.

These aren't deal breakers.. It is instrumental in my setup.  If it broke tomorrow, I would buy it again immediately, or upgrade to one of the wifi (not bluetooth) systems.
    It's like a cross between a hurricane and a ship that's run aground
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Just asked for one for my upcoming birthday, mainly bc the Maverick is such a PITA to program.  (For me, maybe not others . . .)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    I like mine a lot. I don't like the range issue. Luckily my couch and my kitchen are not that far from my grill.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • DoubleRay415
    Options
    @HendersonTRKing glad someone said it because I thought I was by myself on this. It does the job though. 
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. 
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I don't even use a dome thermometer anymore just stick an ambient probe through the top hole and good to go.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Lit said:
    I don't even use a dome thermometer anymore just stick an ambient probe through the top hole and good to go.
    I use my thermopen in the top hole. Reads faster. But don't care to Egg sit so alarm will be great.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX