Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

an Alaskan Dinner (pics)

Options
AlaskanC
AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ooooooh yeah.... we had about 1/4 of a filet of king salmon, and a couple of abalone and 6 live dungeness crabs for dinner tonight.[p]It turned out awesome.[p]We had an out of state guest and it was great to be able to provide the quintessential Alaska dinner. He loved it. He was also watching some sporting event on our 96" tv, so I'm sure it enhanced the experience. Whatever team he was rooting for won. Neat.
I don't do sports. I wouldn't know a home run from a touchdown.
Actually, I did get to witness a form of sportyness - the two crabs on the far left got into it and one of them pinched the other's leg off! Ewwwww! (yes I need to get a life)[p]The only annoying part of the evening was the dang eagles dive bombing me in the back yard. After I got the hose out they stayed in the trees. :) Sorry for the blurry pic of the eagle, but it was keeping it's distance so I had to do the 32x zoom.[p]dinner.jpg
dinner2.jpg
eagle1.jpg

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Your pics of great seafood are annoying me. LOL When I take my cruise, do I have jump ship to get the same treatment? They might have been playing basketball tonight.
    Keep up the great pics.

• EGGlomaniac
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    dungeness crabs, a 96' tv and real eagles bombing your backyard???!!!!! sounds like an incredible evening.
    WISH I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!! don't be afraid to invite some out-of-state egg nuts the next time you cook!! LOL

• Unknown
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    That looks good. Did you make the crabs have a gladiator fight to see who cooks first? I'll be flying through sitka about 20 times in July and I'll be looking for your BGE every time I fly in. So if you open the dome and no crab, charge Alaska airlines for my first good crew meal. I'm not above stealing for a meal like that.

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Great Post!! Thanks!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Wow! You have an eight foot TV and you entertain yourself by watching crab fights! [p]<LOL>
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]For a new egg owner, you have really jumped in with both feet. Your pics are great (makin' me hungry). [p]Now, quit it before someone (like me) gets hurt!!![p]Happy "SUMMER SOLSTICE" to ya![p]Smokey

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    You've got me looking at Sitka as a vacation destination. I don't think I'm the only one either. Never knew about it until you started posting here! Thanks

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Abalone? so now you're fessing up you're a diver too
    as well as the best fisher'person' in the family? Or
    do you let someone else do the getting wet part...[p]Awesome dinner combination!
    HolySmokes

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Man that looks good! Did you cook the crab on the Egg? If so I'd be curious how. Out here in the middle of the dessert there is a little chineese grocery store that sells live dungeness crabs. They are so much better than the already cooked ones I normally see. I usually steam them. -RP

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Nice!!! Man to have the access to seafood that you do... and awesome seafood at that![p]Actually though... I can pass on crab for a while. It's been over a year now but after my last crab-feed, I've not been able to eat crab. Why? Well... let's just say I ate buckets of crab and drank buckets of wine and ended up returning it all later that night and into the wee hours of the morning. LOL. It was NOT fun (well... the crab-feed was fun, obviously... it was the after part the sucked).[p]Ever since... crab and me just haven't been the same. LOL

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]Wow, you live in an amazing place. Thanks for the great shots.[p]john
  • eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    Wow that looks great![p]I bet your becoming extremely popular in the Sitka area. I've very jealous of your access to all that great seafood.[p]I'm in the Missouri Ozarks where good seafood is all but impossible to obtain - but Lump is plentiful. (Hint - Hint :)[p]Great pics Melissa, keep it up![p]Phil

• AlaskanC
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]Yep - both my husband and I dive, however it's illegal to take abalone while diving so we got those while snorkeling. :)
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    AZRP,[p]The salmon went on the egg, but they way we cook dungees is to boil them in seawater for 20 minutes.
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]excellent!
    My wife and I met while diving... even got engaged during a dive,
    and though we've been too busy with our young family to pursue it
    recently, it was one of our favorite pastimes.[p]Nice job snorkeling for the abs, too ;)
    HS

• AlaskanC
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]The invitation is always open!