Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump help??

Options
Has anyone used Vision lump from Sam's Club that can give any insight on it? My local place used to carry Best Western and for the price I couldn't complain. Now they are carrying this 20lb bag of Vision Mesquite Lump for $11.98/bag. I guess I might just have to buy one and see how it works but thought I'd check in here to see if anyone else is using it and could offer any insight.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Mesquite Lump will have a strong taste. If you have a Wal-Mart close by they have Royal Oak on sale.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,127
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Buy a bag and try.  Its not a long term commitment. 

Although mesquite can be strong,  but again, its $12.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks, I'll go check it out...I might need your help later on...planning on a brisket and pork butt for Sunday evening eat around 5 pm....thinking of putting everything on around midnight in the 250-275 range...do you see an issue with the time frame?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Thanks, I'll go check it out...I might need your help later on...planning on a brisket and pork butt for Sunday evening eat around 5 pm....thinking of putting everything on around midnight in the 250-275 range...do you see an issue with the time frame?
    Depends on weight (actually thickness).  Pork shoulder at midnight should be fine.  You can wrap and bump temp if time is getting close.  For eating at 5, if it is a packer, I would put it on at 9.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    All my packer brisket cooks for better than a year now have been running from 0.75-1.1 hrs/lb with about 270*F +/- on the calibrated dome thermo.  Depending on your post-trim weight, you may want start it later.  Aim to finish around 3 hours early and use FTC to get you home.FWIW-

I'm not trying to mess with @Ozzie_Isaac as he wanders O'hare, just offering up some observations. ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    All my packer brisket cooks for better than a year now have been running from 0.75-1.1 hrs/lb with about 270*F +/- on the calibrated dome thermo.  Depending on your post-trim weight, you may want start it later.  Aim to finish around 3 hours early and use FTC to get you home.FWIW-

I'm not trying to mess with @Ozzie_Isaac as he wanders O'hare, just offering up some observations. ;)
    Oohh, yeah just realized he is 250-270, probably at dome.  I was going off 225-235 at grate.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Well I'm going to try and salvage this meal....put everything on at 2 am dome thermometer was holding steady right at 270. Checked things at 6 am and needle hadn't moved at all...go back at 8 and needle is now reading 350!!?? How does that happen? Temps were all in the 180's already. Foiled and wrapped everything and in cooler by 9 am as 195 was being reached and fairly smooth with the probe test and I needed to leave the house. Checked internal temp of brisket at 2:30pm...was 150...mixed up some beef broth and putting it back on the egg to get temps back up hopefully without drying it out. I'll pull the butts and then put them in crockpots to keep the temps up and keep hot while serving. Taking this over to where 20 other people are going to be...I wouldn't be so worried if it was just me. I guess we'll see what they say in a couple of hours?? Feels like a complete failure though.