Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Jam

Options
I was visiting another site and came across a recipe for "BACON JAM". I cannot eat it right now as I am on a low carb diet but figured this had to be shared for the rest of you. Bacon and Jam, what's not to like! I think it was a King Arthur Flour Recipe.

BACON JAM

Whether you call it Bacon Jam, Bacon Onion Relish, or Devil's Delight, this sweet, salty, bacon-y spread is outstandingly good. Crisp salty bacon is simmered for hours with onions, maple syrup, brown sugar, and a couple of secret ingredients to create a soft, spreadable jam that's divine on crackers, toast, crostini or bruschetta, fresh vegetables, pita bread, new potatoes... the list goes on and on!

·         1 1/2 pounds bacon

·         2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced

·         3 cloves garlic

·         1/4 cup cider vinegar

·         1/2 cup dark brown sugar

·         1/4 cup maple syrup

·         1/4 cup boiled cider

·         3/4 cup strong brewed coffee

·         2 dried bay leaves

·         salt and pepper to taste

·24 ounces bacon

·10 ounces peeled and thinly sliced onions

·3 cloves garlic

·2 ounces cider vinegar

·3 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar

·3 ounces maple syrup

·3 ounces boiled cider

·6 ounces strong brewed coffee

·2 dried bay leaves

·salt and pepper to taste

·680g bacon

·283g peeled and thinly sliced onions

·3 cloves garlic

·57g cider vinegar

·106g dark brown sugar

·85g maple syrup

·85g boiled cider

·170g strong brewed coffee

·2 dried bay leaves

·salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.     Slice the bacon into 1" slices and cook in a large skillet until well browned. Drain the fat and reserve the bacon.

2.     Place the cooked bacon and all other ingredients into a 2 quart or larger crock pot. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 hours.

3.     Remove the cooked jam from the crock pot, fish out the bay leaves, and carefully transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the consistency is to your liking, a soft spreadable jam. You can leave the bacon in larger bits or pulse until very small, your choice.

A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Can't vouch for this recipe, but bacon jam is amazing.  Anyone in the Raleigh-Durham area, the bacon confiture at http://vinrougerestaurant.com ranks among the half-dozen best things I've eaten.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options

Not intending to highjack, just to supplement, I make a version of bacon jam that is a huge hit and often is a "hostess gift" instead of a bottle of wine when I go to someone's place for dinner.  Similar to the above, but simpler and with the addition of whiskey! Takes a loooong time (way longer than the pasted instructions below, especially since I do it at a very low temperature to prevent scorching) to make but is worth it. Go by appearance, not by time. I have made it with rye and with bourbon and Jack Daniels.

2 lb(s) thick sliced bacon, chopped

a big splash of water

8 onions, chopped

2 cup brown sugar

2 cup water

2 cup whiskey

1 tsp (or so) of red wine vinegar

Place a saucepan over medium high heat. Toss in the bacon then pour in a big splash of water. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon. As the water simmers the bacon will begin to cook. Then as the water evaporates the bacon will render, releasing its fat. Lastly it will crisp as the fat left behind heats past the boiling point of water into the flavour zone. Keep an eye on the pans heat, adjusting as needed, keeping the bacon sizzling but not burning. Stir and be patient, until the bacon is evenly cooked, nicely browned but not particularly crisp, about 20 minutes. 2. Remove the bacon and strain off all but a quarter cup or so of the drippings. Pile in the onions and patiently brown over low heat until they are soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add the bacon back in, accompanied by the brown sugar and water. Continue simmering until the water is absorbed and the mixture becomes thick and jam-like, about 20 minutes. Splash in the whiskey, reserving an ounce or so for the finish, and cook until you get back to the jam consistency, about another 25 minutes. Carefully transfer the mixture to the food processor, pulse it with the reserved whiskey and the vinegar, and you’ve got a smooth batch of bacon heaven!

Toronto ON
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Thanks to the Original Poster for posting that -- it sounds yummy!  I found the two sets of quantities confusing and looked up the original on the King Arthur Flour site) -- thanks for posting it!

I also made yet another bacon jam recipe several years ago and it was delicious.  I think I may try the King Arthur recipe next, though.  Thanks again for posting it!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Theophan           You are welcome. I just did a cut and paste from the other site and it looks like something was omitted in the process.  Sorry
    bout that. The K A Flour site is easier to read and follow. Thank You for posting the original link.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've had this and like it very much.  Good with so many things traditionally associated with bacon.  Thanks for posting!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga