Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip raost...into steaks....

Options
We picked up a package of Tri Tip roasts at Cash and Carry. While we were vacuum sealing them the wife asked about cutting a roast into steaks? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You certainly can cut them into steaks. Due to their odd shape and size, when I steak them, i either cut them into strips, or even better, split them down the center. What I mean by this is, if it's 2" thick, split it down the middle making two 1" thick steaks. Not cutting it in half where you have two 2" pieces. If I didn't explain that clearly, let me know and I will try to be more clear. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    SGH said:
    You certainly can cut them into steaks. Due to their odd shape and size, when I steak them, i either cut them into strips, or even better, split them down the center. What I mean by this is, if it's 2" thick, split it down the middle making two 1" thick steaks. Not cutting it in half where you have two 2" pieces. If I didn't explain that clearly, let me know and I will try to be more clear. 
    Nope...got it Sir....I think....split it lengthwise....short of like splitting firewood? My knife skills may be a problem with that just yet....just wondering...do you prefer any particular blade for this lengthwise split?
  • SGH
    Options
    Yes sir, length wise. Your firewood analogy is exactly what I'm talking about. Now keep in mind that the choice to either strip them or split them is determined by the size and shape of the tritip that you have. Smaller ones strip better, the big ones are perfect for splitting down the middle.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dougcrann
    Options
    SGH said:
    Yes sir, length wise. Your firewood analogy is exactly what I'm talking about. Now keep in mind that the choice to either strip them or split them is determined by the size and shape of the tritip that you have. Smaller ones strip better, the big ones are perfect for splitting down the middle.  
    One of the roasts we got is 4lbs13oz. Another was 4lbs8oz...they are sort of freakishly large roasts...may try splitting one...
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Not too sure what you have as tritips are typically 2.5 lbs each.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Came out of,a pack of 6 Tri Tips. Has the shape of your typical Tri Tip...just thicker and bigger...and it is untrimmed 
  • SGH
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is true if the butcher does his job and completely seperates the tensor fasciae muscle from the vastus medialis muscle. However it is common to find tritip with some of the vastus medialis still attached. Rather this is due to cutting error or not (I believe that it is) this is why you sometimes find exceptionally large tri tips with a "heel" on them.  

Status- Standing by.

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Never done that before, but could be challenging to get similar size steaks. Similar weight steaks may have to be different thicknesses, which then likely wouldn't cook the same. You could always pair up selected similar ones from the larger group.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.