Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Mk4...open box sale...

Options

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited March 2016
    Options
    $76?

That's $100 retail.... I'm buying.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I bought mine from one of these open box sales. Completely satisfied.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Been on the fence. My regular thermopen works just fine though. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have two already, yet I'm still tempted.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Been on the fence. My regular thermopen works just fine though. 
    Mine does as well.....but like the rotating display and back lighting.....besides, my birthday is in a couple of weeks...nothing wrong with buying yourself a gift, right?
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have the classic and it works great.  I'm tempted to buy the new model but find it hard to justify the cost.  Mechanically, they do the same darn thing.  Measure the temp in a couple of seconds. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dougcrann
    Options
    I have the classic and it works great.  I'm tempted to buy the new model but find it hard to justify the cost.  Mechanically, they do the same darn thing.  Measure the temp in a couple of seconds. 
    Yup...but the spinning, back-lit display is pretty cool 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    And that's why the temptation remains. @dougcrann  you are evil. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • dougcrann
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    And that's why the temptation remains. @dougcrann  you are evil. :)
    Thank You...I think....
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    Well, I am like the Austin Powers character, I can't be asked three times.  Held out until the final day of the sale and that last email they sent did me in.  Blue MK4 enroute.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I jumped the fence too.  Old one is going to my parents.  Also picked up a timestick
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    i am not sure about the previous generations of thermapens, but the MK4 i have automatically turns the display off if not in use (if the probe is out) and senses motion, so when you grab it again, it turns the display back on.  Backlight automatically turns on in dim/dark conditions.  It is awesome.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Today's the final day ... get off the fence ... one side or the other.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    They have these sales so often anymore that it would probably be smarter for them to just keep the normal retail price lower - $75-$80 in order to perhaps keep more people from buying a Lavatools thermo.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk