Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any recommendations for supplier of maple and/or fruit-flavored wood chunks?

Options
I want to pick up some maple and fruit-flavored wood chunks to make some baby back ribs  for the first time on my BGE.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or brand I can pick up in Illinois or over the interweb?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited March 2016
    Options
    www.fruitawood.com

Great selection and service.
    NOLA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    MojoBricks is out of the Chicago area.  It's wood shavings compressed together.  Burns forever and you can get "Mapple" (Maple-Apple).  I have some in my egg right now for two pork butts.

Otherwise any BBQ shop should have some smoke woods or be able to order them for you.  I like maple, apple, cherry, and peach.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't know of anyone in your area, but a lot of people here order from Firecraft.com is good place to order lump, and wood from.  Free shipping if you order 100 pounds or more.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    i keep a hatchet in the truck, smoking woods are everywhere. in my 1/10 acre lot there is maple, white oak, cherry, lilac, and grape, a short walk gets me  post oak, apple, and shagbark hickory. at camp there is blueberry. is there an orchard around, they might be pruning right now ;)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kleefaj
    kleefaj Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I just ordered some Mapple, Maple, and Cherry from MojoBricks. Can't wait!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    MojoBricks is out of the Chicago area.  It's wood shavings compressed together.  Burns forever and you can get "Mapple" (Maple-Apple).  I have some in my egg right now for two pork butts.

Otherwise any BBQ shop should have some smoke woods or be able to order them for you.  I like maple, apple, cherry, and peach.
    I think I have a free sample of some of their stuff that one of the guy's from there gave me at last years American Royal.  I haven't tried it yet.  May have to with some chicken this week.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Home Depot carries several smokewoods. Cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite, pecan and maybe alder. At least they used to. I think they recently changed their smokewood brand so I don't know what they have now. I've never seen maple anywhere. But I have plenty in my yard.

Cabellas carries several too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Home Depot carries several smokewoods. Cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite, pecan and maybe alder. At least they used to. I think they recently changed their smokewood brand so I don't know what they have now. I've never seen maple anywhere. But I have plenty in my yard.

Cabellas carries several too.
    +1 on Cabellas....bets selection in my area....which really is not in my area....but up in the Rock Hill / Charlotte area.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've had great luck here:
    http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/

I've used and had excellent results with their apple, cherry, oak, sugar maple, and olive.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    www.fruitawood.com

Great selection and service.
    +1 for Fruita Wood.  Great service and really good quality wood.  Very reasonable if you pick up from their store in Colorado. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I've been using smoke me bbq wood ordered from firecraft.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Fruita wood.  I order the big box with 3 woods and split it with a friend.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.