Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Steak Question.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been happily using my egg to make the best steaks ever for the past 10 years, but another post has made me think a small "tweak" may be in order.
i've always seared the steaks first then closed the vents to finish without removing the meat. but, would it be better to remove the steaks then wait for the temp. to come down after closing the vents, then put them back on to finish with the vents closed? does this make any difference or not?
thanks!

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]I think that's the Trex method that many use. You let the steak sit outside the egg for 20 minutes while the temp comes down. Others will give you much more detail[p]Howard

• Eric S
    Eric S Posts: 7
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,
    Well, I have not tried that. I have heard that it is great. Bobby Q does steaks that way. But my point is, how much do you think you can improve the steaks that you are doing right now?

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    EGGlomaniac, here are the T-Rex specifics from TNW's site.

[ul][li]TRex's Strip Steak Method[/ul]
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]I have started using an onion for smoke. I do the T rex method others have described, but before I throw the steaks on, I throw a whole small spanish onion on the hot coals. Adds a wonderful flavor.[p]E
  • Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,
    Like you, I also sear at very high temps, >800F,both sides, then close down the vents, and let them "roast" for about 4-8 min depending on thickness. I tried the T-Rex method several times, using the 20 min hold, while the egg cooled to ~ 400F, then back on the fire for another 4-8 min. I guessI liked my original method a bit better. The steaks are usually Ribeye's about 2" thick. I liike rare meat. I have been egging for 9 years.[p]John

• Unknown
    Options
    StandBell,[p]I only recently started using the T-Rex method and for me, it's the ONLY way to cook a steak now (as long as it's 1.5"-2" thick)[p] I love my steaks on the rare side of medium rare and the TREX makes it happen! Also, A key point is during the 20 minute rest, the juices get a chance to re-distribute (although I can't explain) but it's an amazing thing! [p]I think Eggin' and fine Cigars are similar in we try many different methods/cigars and simply stick with what we enjoy![p]BTW, I'm picking up some USDA PRIME RIB EYES cut to my specs on Sunday for Father's Day as we are having some family over who we haven't seenin years! I will introduce them to the Egg and the "Art" of TREXING a fine cut of beef![p]Happy Father's Day to All!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    As new Egg owners, please advise what T-Rex method is, we love steaks too. Thanks.

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Willie,[p]To T-Rex follow the non-bouncing link.
    [ul][li]T-Rex Instructions[/ul]
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    What ever method is used, if the Ribeye is of good quality, well marbled, and ~2" thick, you can not go wrong with either method. It';s great to have "choices".[p]Happy Fathers Day,
    John