Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone try a variation of no knead bread?

Options
poster
poster Posts: 1,172
Just wondering if anyone has thrown anything else into this simple bread recipe, like cheese or garlic/black pepper? I wouldn't think it could alter much but the flavour? I will hopefully try tomorrow.

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited March 2016
    Options
     My wife uses the king Arthur no kneed recipe frequently, and to spice it up from time to time. On one occasion she added roasted garlic and asiago cheese to the mix. The only other one that stands out in my memory is when she added  fresh ground horseradish made small rounds and then we use them as bread bowls, for French onion soup it was actually quite amazing. 

Edit: as a side note she makes  fresh bread almost every single day for us, and this is why am probably fat.  It seems much easier to blame her for my inability to keep the fork out of my big  yapper.   All kidding aside she likes to make the no kneed regularly, because it can be made a few days in advance and just baked in small batches.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes. Lots of different variations of no knead breads. Played with different cheeses, herbs, jalapenos, etc

I prefer King Arthur Unbleached APF, Bread Flour, Wheat, etc. Depending on the type of bread. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Apparently it works well. I've used this recipe many times, but have never tried to flavor it. But here you go...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1#

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• poster
    Options

awesome thanks, im gonna try a black pepper/ garlic tomorrow. Think I should cook the garlic first? wonder if the baking time will be enough to soften it up

• whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm confused, if you don't knead bread, why cook it =)=)B)  
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Love no knead bread 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • poster
    Options
    Put a whole head of garlic in, you can see a clove peaking out on the right. I missed hearing my timer for who knows how long. Funny thing was i never cooked with the top off at all? I must have been around the 40min mark im guessing at 500. Bottom was a little too dark for my liking. Next time 450 max
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    450F.  Top on for 15-20 minutes.  Then off until the bread is about 208F - maybe 20-30 minutes more.  The dough is wet.  Hotter than 450 is fine if you start out there, but drop the temp because once the water evaporates in the bottom you can burn it.  Not a disastrous result, burned flour can be good.

I have made probably 100 loaves of it trying everything under the sun as variations, added ingredients.

A real simple addition is a small chopped onion.  Fennel seed works well.  Try combinations you like.  The flavor is going to be greatly diminished after the fermentation and cooking process.  I've also added ingredients in after the primary fermentation with good results.

Try a little rye. 
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been working on a sourdough no knead recipe.  

So far I have been successful with AP vs WW flour or various blends 

add ins:

sesame seeds
    poppy seeds
    oatmeal
    cornmeal
    black pepper & parm cheese. 
  • poster
    Options
    450F.  Top on for 15-20 minutes.  Then off until the bread is about 208F - maybe 20-30 minutes more.  The dough is wet.  Hotter than 450 is fine if you start out there, but drop the temp because once the water evaporates in the bottom you can burn it.  Not a disastrous result, burned flour can be good.

I have made probably 100 loaves of it trying everything under the sun as variations, added ingredients.

A real simple addition is a small chopped onion.  Fennel seed works well.  Try combinations you like.  The flavor is going to be greatly diminished after the fermentation and cooking process.  I've also added ingredients in after the primary fermentation with good results.

Try a little rye. 

Good point, a head of garlic and 2 tablespoons of pepper left just a hint of flavour. It was good, but not as flavourful as expected. Ill try adding something after the first rise.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Ohh yeah. I've added potatoes, garlic, onions, spices of all varieties, cheese of all varieties!  It's fun to experiement. And much cheaper than experimenting on BBQ!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum