Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sheboygan Hard Rolls

Options
Magical!.....Is that term appropriate to describe a roll?  I'm an hour from Sheboygan, WI where these rolls originate but would contemplate making the drive to get some if I was in a pinch. Thankfully my uncle brought me a dozen out of the blue today....my mind switched to sandwich mode. 

If you've had the pleasure of having one of these they are superbly crunchy on the exterior but immediately soft and chewy on the inside. Egged up some tenderloins, direct at 500, with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, and oregano. 

Broiled with Jarlsburg Swiss and topped with arugula, red onion, pickled jalapeños, and mayo. I love it when a plan comes together!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Never had one, but now I want to. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    A-Team stuff!  I'm with @theyolksonyou!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Damn.... That looks outstanding, thats what I need right now.. Great pics and post.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Those look great!
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Holy TOLEDO every BIT of that looked spectacular!  Wow!  Mouth is watering!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     A good hard roll is something quite wonderful. Must be used fresh. We are close to the NY border here in CT. Can get the best Bronx/Brooklyn hard rolls daily. There is even a bakery in town that comes close(but not quite). I never have been to Wisconsin, but what you describe sounds real close to what we can get. Bread most places around the country? I feel bad for them...

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Never had one, but now I want to. 
    Me too! Minus the onions.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    oh man, gotta love a sheboygan roll with a brat hanging out.......

closest I've come in TX are the rolls at the local mexican food mart......outer shell not quite as hard but inside very soft.  perfect shape for brats.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never heard off a Sheboygan roll and haven't been to Wisconsin. But that sure looks nice! 

Oh, and that's my kinda seasoning on the tenderloins - the only kind I use. Got a cabinet full of spices? Pick some that play nice together and have at it! That board pic looks almost as good as the finished sandwich!

Nice post!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Lived in Sheboygan for 25 years, best roll on the planet and I've never found anything close to it yet.  Every visit to Sheboygan involves buying a bag of hard rolls and a stack of restaurant steaks.  Nothing finer.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The best in town are from City Bakery on Michigan Ave.  Nothing better than some Miesfled's Grand Champion Brats (grilled "BRAT FRY" style over a Grove Charcoal fire) on a fresh City Bakery hard roll, or better yet an Oostbruger (a double brat with a burger on a hard roll).  After a meal like that, I'm glad I grew up and still live near Sheboygan.

Miesfeld's even has fresh ground round, complete with sliced onions right next to each other in the meat case, all you need is the rye bread and fresh ground black pepper.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    The best in town are from City Bakery on Michigan Ave.  Nothing better than some Miesfled's Grand Champion Brats (grilled "BRAT FRY" style over a Grove Charcoal fire) on a fresh City Bakery hard roll, or better yet an Oostbruger (a double brat with a burger on a hard roll).  After a meal like that, I'm glad I grew up and still live near Sheboygan.

Miesfeld's even has fresh ground round, complete with sliced onions right next to each other in the meat case, all you need is the rye bread and fresh ground black pepper.
    @lwrehm These are in fact the City Bakery variety, the best for sure!  Both my parents grew up in Sheboygan so I spent a lot of time there as a child. Never truly appreciated them until later in life when I realized you can't find anything like them anywhere else!  Double brats for sure ;)

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Gonna have to remember this on the next trip to Oshkosh.
    Sudbury, Ontario