Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chunk charcoal question from a BGE virgin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is chunk charcoal the same as lump charcoal? I thought I'd be able to find the lump charcoal at the True Value store nearby using the True Value ID number given here on the forum. However, the True Value is now an Ace store and the closest things they have (which had to be ordered) was a Weber charcoal without additives or the Ace brand chunk charcoal. I figure I'll eventually have to make a trek to the nearest BGE dealer (over 60 miles away!) but in the meantime, my virginal egg is outside sitting in the cold with a comehither look while I sit inside. It's an impotent feeling.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Lynn, Ace's number is 8102642 and is in 10# sacks, whereas True Value's is 145607 and is in 20# sacks. I never used that from Ace but did run through 8 sacks from TV. I now have a source for Royal Oak and they keep it in stock.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Lynn, sorry to burst your bubble, but it just aint the same. Unless Weber is into "Lump" or "chunk" charcoal, (lump is the preferred definition) your getting charcoal brickettes. Its just a better grade brickette from the norm.
    Coast to Coast stores also carry the lump under the identical order numbers as True Value. If you can give a area code maybe we can find a local supplier for you.
    Or try the GTE yellow pages and list Charcoal as your inquiry.
    Good luck.
    Char-Woody (smokin the real stuff)

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Lynn,
    Ace carries Royal Oak Lump Charcoal too! Royal Oak is who manufactures BGE lump. Go to their big book and look under bbq accessories. If I can find the UPC and the stock # from Ace here in town, I'll e-mail it back to you. It comes in 10 pound bags and there are 4 bags to a "brick"! My Ace hardware store charges me $3.40/bag when I buy 10 bags at a time. His normal price is $4.49/bag. [p]Hang in there and keep on them! They have it, they are just lazy looking it up for you![p]
    Dr. Chicken