Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best rub and egging techniques for whole chickens?

Options

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Rub with olive oil, medium coat of your fav rub ... I recommend a spatchcock for an even cook.

More importantly, don't overthink your cooks, just enjoy it!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • egzilla
    Options
    Urban Accents has a spice blend called Fishermans Wharf it is most excellent on spatchcock chicken.
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    I like to spatchcock and dust with Old Bay and some dry herbs.  Simple, yes, but it works great and if you're not worried about a pretty presentation spatching is the way to go IMO

Strongsville, OH

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Jerk w/ pimento wood smoke
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is really good, simple too. 1 Tbls smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp of dried parsley, a few cranks of the pepper mill and just a pinch of kosher salt. Then, a Tbls  or less of evoo and mix it into a paste. Rub over the spatchcocked bird and roast at 400° raised direct. When the temps are close, I like to flip it skin side down to improve the skin color and crisp it up a bit. Good stuff...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    That looks killer, @Carolina Q
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Rub with olive oil, medium coat of your fav rub ... I recommend a spatchcock for an even cook.

More importantly, don't overthink your cooks, just enjoy it!
    100% spot on advice. Before had been trying to outdo/create new flavor on my yardbird. My last was above method.(I hit the bird w/ some apple spritz toward the end). Best bird I have ever done!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have a couple different methods that I use.  One is spatched and the other is just whole, set on the grid.  I prefer indirect for both, but usually go for about 400 temp.  I use a light brushing of oil then apply my own mix of seasonings.  I like salt, pepper, Mrs Dash SW Chipotle, a bit of Tony's, and I have a couple other Mrs dash products that I use off and on (Garlic/herb and onion/herb)
    All the clan loves the finished product
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Spatchcock the bird and season with Mickey's Coffee Rub (search it).  

Welcome to the forum.....and I love your WSP avatar. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    It may be pedestrian, but I really like the flavor of the Montreal Chicken Rub.

+1 on spatchcock.
    Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Spatchcock is a winner.  

As as for rubs, it really depends on what you're going for.  Im a big fan of the Dizzy Pig rubs-specifically raging river or shaking the tree. that being said, Meat Church rubs turn out great skin.  Deez Nuts tastes great and turns out great on chicken.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA