Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote digital thermometers

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chritmas is coming, would like to find a good remote digital thermometer, can anybody help. Great forum, firist timer. Thanks Rick R.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rick R,[p]Visit the link
    [ul][li]Wireless thermometers[/ul]
  • FiveFalls
    Options
    Rick R,
    I have the $40 wireless thermometer from Amazon.com called RemoteCheck. I used it yesterday for the first time. I put one of its probes in the left breast of my turkey and I put its other probe in the hole in the lid of the Egg where my BGE thermometer has been. Then I put another probe from my proven Polder in the right breast. Here is what I found:[p]The temperature in the left breast and the right breast never varied more than four degree F. At times they were identical. When the alarm went off it was within two minutes of one another at 185 degrees. There are no less than a dozen reasons for the difference in temps not the fault of either thermometer.[p]The probe in the dome had to have a depth adjustment to get a comparable reading to the BGE thermometer but once this was done I swapped them out several times with virtually identical readings.[p]My dissapointment with RemoteCheck came when I took the remote unit inside the house to do some other things. It would lose the signal and simply stay at the same temp or go blank. I would then have to manually register it again. I moved the remote closer to within thirty-five feet with one framed wall and a double-pane window between the transmitter and the remote but still no luck. It would not pickup the signal. Very dissappointing. I believe they advertise up to 100 feet but not so with this one. Today, the day after Thanksgiving, I am trying to decide whether to send it back to Amazon.[p]fivefalls@aol.com

• Tim M,
    Tim,thank you very much. You have great site. I will be use it often. Thanks Rick

• FiveFalls,
    Thanks for the information. Don't know what I will do. Thanks again.