Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Salad - favorite "secret" ingredient?

Options
2»

Comments

• gt0186b
    Options
    I make my own mayo for it using extra virgin olive oil.  The homemade EVO mayo is strong for a turkey sandwich but goes really well with green apples, sweet grapes and chopped pecans in the chicken salad.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    blasting said:

... mine will not be sporting nuts, apples, or raisins - that's just wrong.

I'm with you. Might be great, but I don't think so. :)

Mine is pretty simple; chicken, onion, celery, mayo, dijon and lemon juice. Made some just last night.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I don't see how even a simple CS recipe, with Egg'd chicken, could ever be bland.
    But, I'm bookmarking this thread!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Eggscuses
    Options
    If you make jerk chicken, and there's any left over, use that and just mayo. My daughters favorite.  Jerk is also good in scrambled eggs,  another daughter favorite. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    If you make jerk chicken, and there's any left over, use that and just mayo. My daughters favorite.  Jerk is also good in scrambled eggs,  another daughter favorite. 
    Yes!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Trust me on this - add madras curry powder.
    Love curry chicken salad!
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I love Chic-Fil-A's chicken salad, so I try to copy it.  I use nothing but white meat freshly grilled chicken breast, the whitest and highest quality mayo I can find, fresh celery, dill relish, lemon juice, a little boiled egg, and salt/pepper.  No fruit.  No nuts.  And never eat it right after you make it.  Always let it set in the fridge for at least four hours.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One thing is to crisp the skin covered with the seasoning, even after removed and chop finely. It gives it a little kick. I use Loveless Cafe Peach Rub and include peach diced in mine when they're in season. The smoke is the secret. Smoke heavy... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I make my chicken/tuna salad with hellmans regular mayo only. Just like it that way. 

Also use kosher salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and some smoked habanero powder. 

Wickles relish is a MUST. i go a bit heavy on the relish. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1      cup           chopped pecans
    3                    green onions, chopped
    1/2  cup           golden raisins
    1/2  cup           celery or snow pea pods or both
                           purple onion to taste
    1      can           sliced water chestnuts
    1                   small can mandarin  oranges
                           Vinaigrette:
    1/4  cup           rice vinegar
    1/4  cup           orange juice
    2      Tbs           mango chutney, or more, to taste
                           salt and pepper
    1/2  cup           Light oil

Combine chicken, pecans, green onions, raisins, celery, purple
    onions, water chestnuts and mandarin oranges in a large bowl.
    Make vinaigrette in another bowl.  Pour some of the vinaigrette over chicken
    mixture and serve the rest with the salad.

Marinate at least 4 hours or over night.  Bring to room temperature and
    serve.

I some times add wild rice.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    J-dubya said:
           ... Chicken, mayo/miracle whip, ... 
    Oh my goodness -- I think the secret ingredient might be getting RID of the Miracle Whip!!!  <shudder>  Really hate that stuff.

slovelad said:
    Grapes and crushes walnuts 

My mom used to love chicken salad made that way.  Otherwise very simple, as I recall, just chicken, Hellman's, maybe a hint of salt and pepper, and then grapes and walnuts.  It was really good, but I don't do it, myself.

I hate to admit it, but there's a seasoned salt that I like a lot, "Everglades Seasoning," and I think a little bit goes really well in chicken salad.  Its flavor reminds me a lot of poultry seasoning, so that probably figures.  Not enough that you'd strongly notice it, but it just adds something really nice.  And I usually put in a little celery and sweet onion, minced.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Curry powder
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Yep- I'm a curry fan for chicken salad as well.  Definately a different taste but it adds a great change from the norm.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I did this with great results!  People at work request it often.  

I do Duke's mayo only and apple cider vinegar.  Apples, onion, grapes, celery, red bell pepper, and my not-so-secret is taking the skin off, placing back on the egg to crisp up, then chopping that into the mix.  Think @Mattman3969 did this not long ago and enjoyed it.  Inspiration was from @henapple .  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190531/smoked-chicken-salad#latest
    sorry... apples and grapes do NOT belong in Chicken salad.... and not sold on the rbp either.... just sayin'...

Celery yes/maybe.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Hint: most restaurants use turkey breast instead of chicken in their chicken salad. That is the missing ingredient. All comments have great suggestions, but you're chasing a unicorn with using chicken instead of turkey. Why the heck can't the restaurants just call it turkey salad? Oh yeah, no one has ever heard of turkey salad.
    That is interesting @Dredger.  I made turkey salad with leftover thanksgiving turkey and it was really good.  I just did it because I had a ton leftover and I feel like it keeps better submerged in the mayo-based dressing.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    onedbguru said:

I do Duke's mayo only and apple cider vinegar.  Apples, onion, grapes, celery, red bell pepper, and my not-so-secret is taking the skin off, placing back on the egg to crisp up, then chopping that into the mix.  Think @Mattman3969 did this not long ago and enjoyed it.  Inspiration was from @henapple .  

sorry... apples and grapes do NOT belong in Chicken salad.... and not sold on the rbp either.... just sayin'...

Celery yes/maybe.  
    I'd change your view I think!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Celery yes/maybe.  

Celery gives an extremely important texture to chicken salad.  It should never be omitted.
    NOLA
  • the_crease
    Options
    No apples, raisins, grapes, or nuts.  

Mayo, touch of sour cream, celery, onions, lemon juice, s&p, CAPERS.

Winner, winner. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt, I use whatever I have left over and I must say the last batch I made with leftover rotisseried chicken was excellent.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Our "secret" ingredient is homemade sweet pickles and a little bit of the pickle juice.   It really takes ours to the next level.   Our chicken salad is pretty basic.  We shy away from the apples,  grapes,  nuts,  etc. And definitely no miracle whip. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Duke's, Craisins, toasted pecans on croissant  
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Man, I wish I'd thought to add some of those! They are awesome! Made chicken salad just a couple of days ago and they would have added a great spicy sweet kick!  Haven't seen them around here and I thank you for sending! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bill_Swerski
    Options
    mustard is the key
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Celery yes/maybe.  
    I'd change your view I think!
    Nope... tried it... No so  much!

occasionally, if I have it, some homemade green tomato or zucchini relish. 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Trust me on this - add madras curry powder.
    Try this. He is right.
    I also make it with S&P, ground celery seed, onion, celery, shredded carrot, mayo and fresh tarragon.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Kind of depends on what you are looking for with flavor. It appears that folks like what they grew up with or found regionally. I do agree with Mayo, not Miracle Whip. Minced celery is always good. I use much more than a pinch of yellow mustard powder, and white pepper always goes well with chicken. If you need additional umami, put some anchovy paste in your mayo.