Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got my Egg

Options
Just purchased my first large egg ! Wife is not thrilled...imagine that , but excited to hear what the professional eggheads on here have to say... Ready for advice guys

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    And the journey begins......
    You will really enjoy the lifestyle.
    Congrats and good luck
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    She will be happy soon enough! Cook her favorite cut of meat on the egg and she will be thrilled as well!  Welcome. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    It looks like you have been cooking a lot on that thing! 

• Chad4ua1717
    Options
    yeah i bought it about a week or two ago haven't had much luck but have actually taken off work to play with this thing the past two days.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    yeah i bought it about a week or two ago haven't had much luck but have actually taken off work to play with this thing the past two days.

Keep at it!

Where have you struggled?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chad4ua1717
    Options
    not sure if its put together excataly right i have a slight overhang in the front and on the right , the gaskets were almost black after the test run. Is that normal ?

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You need to adjust that or you are going to fry your gaskets! 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    not sure if its put together excataly right i have a slight overhang in the front and on the right , the gaskets were almost black after the test run. Is that normal ?

A slight overhang is fine.  You can check your gap with a dollar bill.

Put a $ bill in and if it takes a slight tug to remove it then it is fine.  Move the bill over and try again.  Work all your way around and keep trying.  If it is slightly tight all the way around you are golden.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    My first large didn't have an adjustment problem, but my second one drove me crazy. I worked and worked on it until I got it like I wanted it. 

• Chad4ua1717
    Chad4ua1717 Posts: 6
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sweet thanks guys, ill give that a shot I already had the igrill 2 moved it over from the weber. To answer your question where am i struggling .. I bought the grate to go on top it seems very fragile and there is little to zero room under the top grate . This add on does not  seem like the best addition. I opted not to get the plate setter Sams had a vision kit that had a 13 in and 15 in stone and bracket for 40 bucks. I figured it would be the same , but the grate seems to want to balance on the foil drip pan underneath. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    To earn your man card on here you MUST have at least 2 eggs. So if she was not happy with the first 1 get a second one and give it to her for Valentine's Day. Instant man card in my book.

naw in all seriousness it gets easier with practice. A lot of guys will say get the AR setup from CGS, but I have it and the plate setter and honestly use the plate setter more. Get a good instant read thermometer from thermo works. Cook to temp not color. Then play with it for awhile before sinking more money into stuff you might or might not use.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My advice: keep your wallet locked up if you're gonna hang here. Welcome. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    To earn your man card on here you MUST have at least 2 eggs. So if she was not happy with the first 1 get a second one and give it to her for Valentine's Day. Instant man card in my book.

naw in all seriousness it gets easier with practice. A lot of guys will say get the AR setup from CGS, but I have it and the plate setter and honestly use the plate setter more. Get a good instant read thermometer from thermo works. Cook to temp not color. Then play with it for awhile before sinking more money into stuff you might or might not use.
    Having bought that vision kit with two stones, he might be better advised to just get a spider and use one of his stones with it for indirect. Just a thought. 

Little Rock, AR

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My wife wasn't crazy when I bought my first egg.  Big $$.  Even less so when I struggled in the beginning and the cooks tasted too smoky.  Now my wife loves the Egg.  I cook way more, I bring the mess outdoors which keeps her kitchen cleaner and she loves the food.  This year she let me Egg the Thanksgiving Turkey and she said it was the best ever.  Welcome and keep on learning.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    Congrats Chad!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    My wife now cooks maybe twice A YEAR.

Thanksgiving and a Veal Parm. Period 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome.... Be nice to your egg and your wife will come around quickly.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • onionlips
    onionlips Posts: 17
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Welcome.. you are going to love it.

My wife actually said , "You should look into getting one of those green grills"
    ... less than 24 hours later ... a LBGE was on the back deck. Done!

However, now the accompanying beer budget is under review!

Deadhead gone Egghead
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Move the SRF (Snake River Farm) web page up to your bookmark bar, then call her over to take a look at the lovely proteins they have.. That will do it.. 
    Welcome... You are in for a great time..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Renegaderam
    Options
    Congrats to the new Egghead
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. It's Friday night..... Hope to see you on here Monday morning.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. "Professional Eggheads" :rofl: 
    Surely you jest. Enjoy. Get that joker aligned asap. Enjoy the eats. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Congratulations!  You are in for lots of fun and good eats.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)