Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions welcomed on cookin pheasant

Options
Had the opportunity to take part in a pheasant shoot this past weekend. We dont see to many of these down here in SW Georgia. The shoot was a benefit put on by the local Lions Club. Brought home 4 hens and have never cooked one. Hoping for cooking suggestions from some of you experts.
STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
 & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Pheasant is probably the single best game I've ever eaten, so congrats on a nice score! I've never cooked them on the egg, but I've cooked quite a few on gassers back in the day. Very simple: marinade in Italian dressing, grill direct until done. I used to drop the quartered pheasants in the dressing in the morning and cook in the evening but try not to let it go TOO long. Don't over cook if at all possible (pheasant is ALL white meat) but you want a nice caramelized crust. I'd probably go lite-ish on the wood and try to cook raised direct if possible at about 350 or so.

Good luck, hope it turns out great.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    thanks. thinking on cooking one and then go from there
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I've cooked several grouse, never pheasant but I'd recommend brining. The fat content in grouse is really low and it can dry out very quickly. I've always brined and then stuffed the body cavity with a lemon while cooking.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I've cooked several grouse, never pheasant but I'd recommend brining. The fat content in grouse is really low and it can dry out very quickly. I've always brined and then stuffed the body cavity with a lemon while cooking.
    This.

There is a very fine line between safe to eat and dried out.  

I prefer chicken frying, smothering, or wrapping in bacon if I am grilling pheasant.  

You can cook it pretty much anyway you cook chicken, just be aware, it is going to be drier and tougher most likely.  

I havent done it yet, but would lean more towards making a pheasant gumbo or other soup where you can shred the meat and hide that is it dry.

We use them bacon wrapped with jalapenos a lot.  I microwave the bacon to pre cook it about halfway.  Otherwise, the pheasant will be overcooked by the time the bacon is done.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I've never cooked game on the egg. Pheasant I usually pot roast - being part-submerged in liquid obviously keeps it moist. Could you pot roast on the BGE? Otherwise how about you wrap it in bacon to protect it?

I used this recipe last time (but in the oven) https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/pot-roast-pheasant-with-chorizo-butter-beans-and-parsley

Good luck!
  • Trip
    Trip Posts: 27
    Options
    Awesome, I cooked two last year on my mini.  First of all that is the easiest bird I have ever cleaned!  I coated the breast with olive oil and smothered it with Tony chachere's cajun seasoning.  I grilled the breast on a couple of sides then dropped in my pizza stone to cook it indirect to temperature. It was very good.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Baked one, once stuffed and marinated.
    never grilled. 
    I made the trip to SD pheasant hunting this year, have 17 I have to figure out how to grill .

it was recommended to brine them as well .

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    A big thanks for these suggestions. Will update after  the first cook
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Remember that it is overcooking that dries out meat. Fat helps keep it moist if you overcook it, like with ribs and butt,  but moist meat doesn't require fat. you can fertainly cook lean meat and keep it moist. 

Beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, turkey breast....  All have little fat. And no amount of bacon or oil marinades will keep them moist if you overcook them, right?  Same for wild game which tends to have much less fat. 

Just don't overcook it 

problem used to be we overcooked game almost as a rule for fear of parasites. Gotta watch boar, bear, etc for trichinosis for example. So gramma cooked the thing (and pork) to death. 

Don't be grandma

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• mick7607
    Options
    Pass on your Egg and cook in your slow cooker. I've done it both ways and my crock pot gave me superior results. To 4 breasts, add 2 cans cream of mushroom, quarter about 5 small red potatoes, 10 or 12 baby carrots, chop 1 onion, a splash of worsh, splash of tabasco. a little s & p. Cook 6 to 8 hours on low. Stir occasionally. Perfect.
    Laurens,SC