Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
Think it's about time to replace my CDN knock off, it's been a decent stand in but it just doesn't seem reliable or fast. I've had several cooks recently where the CDN reads a lower temp so I leave on and end up overcooked. Most recently tonight with dive good thick ribeyes, checked then after a few minutes and it read 120, left on a little longer, checked and it read 140's which is supposed to be rare according to the temp chart on the back of the thermometer. Well, got the steaks inside and cut into then and all were at least medium, some were medium well....
So, that said is it worth the newer MK4 or should I just go with the standard TP and save a few $$$?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I would spend the little extra and get the new one with back light and multi directional display. But you can't go wrong with even the cheaper Pop
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    This time of year unless you have a light on your egg I would say go for the backlit version, but in the summer when I'm cooking in the light of day it doesn't really matter.  I'd say go for.  Best of both worlds.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I would spend the little extra and get the new one with back light and multi directional display. But you can't go wrong with even the cheaper Pop
    I'm gonna go against the grain on the Pop.  I guess I'm just spoiled to my TP but I'm under impressed with the Pop.  I've gotten to the point that if I'm cooking steak I go TP and anything slow like chicken where a couple of degrees won't hurt the cook I'll grab the Pop.  Prolly gonna give the Pop to my daughter and get a new TP.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I can easily spend your money on the MK4. :relaxed:
    If you do not want me to spend that much money of yours, you can get the older model.   While I heard the pop is good, I have no personal experience with it.

Any way you go, sounds like you need something soon before you mess up some more ribeyes!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    TP running an open box/demo/refurb sale on the classics right now for $63..... Hard to pass that up..... If all the MK4 does extra is the backlight and isn't any faster then I'm leaning that direction. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    M4 all the way, auto on, auto rotate, auto backlight, auto awesome.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    If backlit and screen rotation is no big deal to you go for it.  I've never wished my original TP rotated the numbers, But I'm right handed I think the rotation would help lefties. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mattman3969 said:hi
    Photo Egg said:
    I'm gonna go against the grain on the Pop.  I guess I'm just spoiled to my TP but I'm under impressed with the Pop.  I've gotten to the point that if I'm cooking steak I go TP and anything slow like chicken where a couple of degrees won't hurt the cook I'll grab the Pop.  Prolly gonna give the Pop to my daughter and get a new TP.  
    As stated above, I would go with the MK4 as my first choice. The Pop, for the money, is an excellent product. After using it a few times on steaks I can guage, as it starts to slow, what the temp will be. Is my TP faster,  yes. And it's what I use at home. When I visit friends or go to Eggfests where things might get lost, broken or grow legs the Pop is great.
    Cooking in low light I will take my Pop over the original TP with no light every time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The auto on feature is worth having.  I have an older version. Many times when using it the off timer will shut it down when I am taking the temp of something.  Most annoying when heating up a sauce or similar to an exact temp and have the thermometer shut down during the process.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• the_crease
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    , checked then after a few minutes and it read 120, left on a little longer, checked and it read 140's which is supposed to be rare according to the temp chart on the back of the thermometer. 
    Your current CDN thermometer might still be working correctly as most meat temp charts I've seen 140 is medium pushing medium well.  Rare should be around 120-125
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The problem with CDN thermometers is that they register in *Canadian.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Them damn commie canadian units confuse and frighten me.
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    , checked then after a few minutes and it read 120, left on a little longer, checked and it read 140's which is supposed to be rare according to the temp chart on the back of the thermometer. 
    Your current CDN thermometer might still be working correctly as most meat temp charts I've seen 140 is medium pushing medium well.  Rare should be around 120-125
    Good point, I'm noticing that the temp chart on the back of the CDN seems a bit off for several meats.....
  • ckali7
    Options
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I need to get an instant read.  Can't drop $100 on the mk4.  Debating between the on sale regular thermapen for 63 and the Javelin Pro for $55.  Speeds are similar.  Javelin is backlit, thermapen isn't (I have the smokeware light on the egg so that may help with that) and is a few bucks cheaper.  Thermapen has the reputation.  Thoughts?
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    go with the javelin pro. I just got one. for 55 on amazon. backlit. and fast. no complaints at all yet.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    @nth78
    The Thermapen is a bit faster, a bit more accurate, has a slightly larger operating range, more waterproof. The Javelin Pro is cheaper.  The Thermapen is made in England, the Javelin in China. If you need to contact Thermoworks, they have phones, emails, and a real address - Lavatools has an email.  Thermoworks has been around for a number of years and has a good customer service reputation - Lavatools seems to be pretty new so long term service is yet to be determined. 

When I got my Thermapen eight years ago, I don't remember Lavatools being around.  My Thermapen gets daily use. It is still going strong - I sometimes wish it would break so I could get the new MK4 version. The MK4 is $100. Figure it will last for 10 years. Thats less than $1 per month for the top of the line thermometer.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ckali7
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Do these seem off to y'all? 
    Thoughts on these temp ranges?
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    ckali7 said:
    Do these seem off to y'all? 
    Thoughts on these temp ranges?
    Except for rare it seems right.  140 is too high.  I think like 120 or so is correct.  Not sure on veal or lamb
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @ckali7 yes those temps are definitely high!  sounds like your thermometer works fine but is slow for your liking.  you can't go wrong with thermopro, or the new mk4.  i like the thermopop a lot too.

here's a screenshot of the thermoworks meat magnet.  

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The problem with CDN thermometers is that they register in *Canadian.
    Yes, currently they will show a reading of almost 30% lower.  :)

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pop
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ckali7
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @ckali7 yes those temps are definitely high!  sounds like your thermometer works fine but is slow for your liking.  you can't go wrong with thermopro, or the new mk4.  i like the thermopop a lot too.

here's a screenshot of the thermoworks meat magnet.  

Those temps are way different than the CDN recommended. So not only is my thermometer slow, I've been overshooting temps by 15-20 degrees! Jeesh, wonder why CDN we've with these temps. Did the USDA change them recently?
  • ckali7
    Options
    Anyone have experience with both the CDN and a Thermapen that can offer a comparison between the two? Am I going to see a significant difference by upgrading to the TP? 
    My CDN is supposedly the thermocouple design like the TP. 
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
     @ckali7    The USDA publishes temps for food safety, not suggested serving temps for culinary quality.  Yes they did make some changes a couple of years ago.  I am not familiar with the CDN numbers, but they may be using USDA safety numbers, not culinary goodness numbers.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE