Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wednesday Wokkin - Spicy Scallops with Baby Bok Choy and Scallions

Options
2»

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The thing with stir frying is that you don't want to overload the wok with too much food and kill the heat or your just sautéing.  I have cooked for 6 adults several times with my 16" but I will do it in stages and then return everything back to the wok for a quick warm-up.  If you cook for 6 on a regular basis I would grab a 16"

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow! Looks great.  

Curious on what's the right way to mince garlic and ginger.  I most times use a microplane for mine. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I did too.  Lol. 

According to Grace Young if you want to mince ginger you first cut it in paper thin slices then slice those coins into 1/8" sticks and then slice those in to 1/8" squares.  Lotta slicing but I could tell a difference from the micro plane or press.  Garlic I just flatten,slice and chop.  

Thanks for the compliment 

analyze adapt overcome

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    great looking cook,  

back in the day, when I wokked a lot, I used these hot dog boats to hold my various foods before wokking.  cheap, come in various sizes and no clean up.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I did too.  Lol. 

According to Grace Young if you want to mince ginger you first cut it in paper thin slices then slice those coins into 1/8" sticks and then slice those in to 1/8" squares.  Lotta slicing but I could tell a difference from the micro plane or press.  Garlic I just flatten,slice and chop.  

@tarheelmatt I learned this from the free craftsy knife skills video. Also, how to dice an onion. 

This is method keeps the oil(flavor) in the garlic. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @tjv - I like the boat idea alot.  Thanks for posting it

analyze adapt overcome

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Mattman3969 What sort of oil do you use for your wok cooks?
    Right now I'm using Peanut but I want to try Safflower 
    I use safflower at times for stove top wok cooks and have no trouble with it. I just can't get the heat I need on the stove. Looks like it's time to move the wok to the Egg. I have a Woo2 and a wok will fit nicely on that center ring.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Mattman3969
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If the spider is connected to your woo2 and I think it is you will soon realize you need to cut it loose and use independently of the woo.  I bought the woo2 and yes my 16" wok will fit down in the hole but getting it out when it was hot was a major PITA.   But it could be different on your XL.  

Not or trying to sound like a knowitall.   

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I did too.  Lol. 

@tarheelmatt I learned this from the free craftsy knife skills video. Also, how to dice an onion. 

This is method keeps the oil(flavor) in the garlic. 
    I used to mince, but saw Rachel Ray process on a microplane and so I started doing that,  plus I found it was easy. I knew that B was played out! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wow! Looks great.  

Curious on what's the right way to mince garlic and ginger.  I most times use a microplane for mine. 
    You can mince both garlic and ginger by just smashing it https://youtu.be/KRrsifp2FpA?t=2m35s
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    What type of utensil do you use to remove the food while wok is still cooking? I found that to be difficult, especially if the wok is really hot.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Your hands and really good gloves.  I just take the wok out and dump it. 

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    stv8r said:
    What type of utensil do you use to remove the food while wok is still cooking? I found that to be difficult, especially if the wok is really hot.
    I use the spatula. When I get to the last small scoop I'll push it out the side into a bowl without really scooping it out - that's probably not clear...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options

Looks awesome! What size wok do you recommend for the large egg? 
    I have a 16" which works fine but I think a 14" would make it easier getting out of the egg when it's blazin hot.  
    How do you get the 16" out currently? What I normally do is hook the spatula onto the right "D-wing" and then take the BGE Grill Gripper and grab the left "D-wing". Then I just lift it up and out onto my side table that has the wok ring waiting on it. Might be kinda hard to visualize, but it works very well to get it out fast. Also, you could substitute the spatula with the BGE Ash Tool instead.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I grab the handle with good gloves and work fast. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    ^^^^ +1

analyze adapt overcome