Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkel 818

Options
Headed out to go look at one posted near me on CL. Comes with a brand new extra blade. Will post more if I buy it. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Got it for $360. Missing one sharpening wheel and a couple of the rubber feet, but it runs nice and quiet. Will post a few pics when I get home. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    This thing is a monster, didn't realize how heavy it is. Going to have to build a kitchen cart to wheel it out when needed, way too heavy to carry around. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Nice score. Do yourself a favor and buy some food grade spray silicone to lube if with. Look on cabelas site for some. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I'll get some on order. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    she is a beast,  I have the same one
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Nice slicer! I'm in the process of restoring an old 1930's Globe slicer myself. Looking forward to seeing some future posts from you using the slicer!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Nice score!
    Not sure if you has a slicer previously and ever made your own lunch meat, but if not, remember to chill it to cool (I do 24 hours) prior to slicing, unless you are going right to a warm sammy.

Time to get the wide section of the bottom round, pork loin, or if you want to go all the way, a boneless rib roast.  Season really really heavy, then go low and slow with them. Skip the sear step - you get nothing with it when slicing thin.
    If you like lamb, do not be afraid of a boneless leg and slice it up. Yummy!!

Have fun!!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Use mineral oil. thats what all the manuals say. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Nice score! Maybe rather than to build a cart consider this one.
    http://t.harborfreight.com/large-steel-tool-cart-with-locking-drawer-90428.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CTMike
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @RRP

Great idea, I just need to make sure that the slicer isn't more than 16" deep. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Rzeancak said:
    she is a beast,  I have the same one
    I would appreciate any operating and cleaning tips you might have. Additionally I got a spare blade with it. Is the arbor normal or reverse threaded for swapping them out?

Thanks. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    @Rzeancak

Additionally, the automatic feature doesn't work. Any common fixes I should look for?

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • RRP
    Options
    CTMike said:
     Is the arbor normal or reverse threaded for swapping them out?

Wouldn't it stand to reason the threads holding a nut on the blade will be the reverse direction of how the blade turns to cut? Otherwise any resistance to the spinning blade would loosen the nut and make the blade a spinning lethal disc. If reverse then then pressure creates more tension thereby tightening the nut to secure it.
  • RRP
    edited January 2016
    Options

CTMike said:
    @RRP

I understand - I just thought the 350 pound capacity would have to mean it is sturdy plus it has locking casters and a handy drawer underneath. Even the customer ratings/comments made it sound like a viable alternative to building one unless you are a welder or a wood butcher (like me). Sometimes buying is just quicker - know what I mean? LOL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Use mineral oil. thats what all the manuals say. 
    Or @nolaegghead's baby oil if you are at brisket camp.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sounds like any lube will do. Just make sure it's latex friendly if necessary. 
  • HarveyLytle
    Options
    I bought an old used Hobart a few years back and rebuilt it. EBay was my friend when looking for parts. I was able to find every part I needed. Some came from aftermarket suppliers. Good luck with your project. After you get it finished will be very hard to wear out.
  • CTMike
    Options
    RRP said:

CTMike said:
    @RRP

I understand - I just thought the 350 pound capacity would have to mean it is sturdy plus it has locking casters and a handy drawer underneath. Even the customer ratings/comments made it sound like a viable alternative to building one unless you are a welder or a wood butcher (like me). Sometimes buying is just quicker - know what I mean? LOL
    I am a wood butcher, and building a kitchen cart might give me an excuse to buy a few more green and black German tools. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.