Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to brine??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dr. Chicken sent me some great instructions on brining/smoking a turkey, and he suggests an overnight brine. Most information I've read suggests that it must go on over 4 hours, or it doesn't work, but how long is too long? The earlier post on John Ash's turkey brine calls for a 2 - 4 day soak! This seems like a very long time.[p]Any thoughts, fellow eggers? By the way, my small egg is scheduled to arrive tomorrow via ups from a dealer in Pennsylvania -- I'll do a separate post once it arrives, as if it comes through, these guys are AMAZING. By the way, there's apparently a price increase scheduled on the small egg, so BUY, BUY BUY!![p]Thanks in advance,[p]David Saliba

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    David Saliba,[p]I'd suggest that you follow brine recipes, then adjust your technique as to you tastes.[p]There are few hard and fast rules on brining. How much a brine affects the meat depends on many factors including time, temp, salinity, ect. Check out the link I provided below.[p]You will love the large/small Egg combination.[p]Spin[p]

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    David Saliba,
    Hello David, I have brined several turkeys and will be doing a John Ash brine this week. I plan on putting the bird under tomorrow evening for two nights soaking. This is the time I normally use and it seems to work very good. If you haven't tried it yet, go for it. It works everytime!
    later,
    ChefRD

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi David,[p]I never brine more than 18 hours. I have been afraid of losing the turkey taste, but I have never done a 2 to 4 day soak either.[p]To each his own.[p]Jimbo