Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer Briskets in North Atlanta area?

Options
I live in Roswell and have only been able to find flats thus far. Does anyone have a good place to go for packers? Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Don't know if you have access to Costco but it seems like their stores are carrying more packers at least in the southeast.  Hopefully a local eggspert will be along.
    And right call to search for the packers-but wrestling with a flat beats no brisket at all.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Have you tried Walmart? Even way up here I see them from time to time. $2something per lb. 

Also, if you have access to Restaurant Depot (free membership, but wholesale only), there's one in Marietta. They would probably have it. Worth a phone call. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I know Costco Cumberland doesn't carry any whole packer briskets.  I get mine from restaurant depot at Elmeworth.  I've only done 4 total, so I would love to know we're else everybody are getting their briskets too!  :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• MelSharples
    Options
    I've seen them at the Costco at Perimeter. Also, you can get them at Restaurant Depot (free to join if you have a business license, otherwise join KCBS for daily passes). Kroger will have them every once in a while. Sams Club too...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I live in more north Atlanta than you, and our Costco only carries flats. I check every time I'm in there. Always flats. However, both Sams and Walmart carry packers. Not sure of grade, but I've seen them at both spots.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Have you tried Walmart? Even way up here I see them from time to time. $2something per lb. 

Also, if you have access to Restaurant Depot (free membership, but wholesale only), there's one in Marietta. They would probably have it. Worth a phone call. 
    Free membership?  How?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pattons meat market in Duluth and DA Butcher in Alpharetta are both great. There's a place called Grillers pride in Doraville that I've heard good things about but never been myself. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bkhooegger
    bkhooegger Posts: 30
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. FYI, for those in the area, I ended up finding a place that stocked them a few miles from my house--The Butcher Market. It was a little pricey (I think anyways) at $6.99/lb, but I am looking forward to doing my first packer tomorrow.
  • bkhooegger
    Options
    I've seen them at the Costco at Perimeter. Also, you can get them at Restaurant Depot (free to join if you have a business license, otherwise join KCBS for daily passes). Kroger will have them every once in a while. Sams Club too...
    I have tried the Costco in Alpharetta and only seen flats, but I work near the one at Perimeter and could give that a shot in the future.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I was just at perimeter Costco and only found a bunch of flats too.  Restaurant Depot had a sale last month $2.99/lb.  Today, they were about $3.89/lb.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I called Costco a while back and they don't carry packers around here. The ones at RD are just "meh". I started ordering from Snake River Farms and haven't looked back. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Free membership?  How?
    Details on their website, but basically, anyone who owns a business (even if not a food business) can sign up. If you know someone who owns a business, they can get you a card.

Failing that, you can join the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS) for $35/year, show your KCBS card when you visit RD, and get a day pass. As often as you like. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    If you are ever in the Athens area, check out Stripling's General Store.    Great pork and beef.   They always carry packers, and they've been great quality.  Prime Ribeyes and NY Strips always in stock, and their sausage, both fresh and smoked, is great.   If you're a foodie, it might even be worth the drive from Roswell.  Great small business, great people and really awesome meat selection.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pattons meat market in Duluth and DA Butcher in Alpharetta are both great. There's a place called Grillers pride in Doraville that I've heard good things about but never been myself. 

Pattons

Da Butcher is closed

Wilkes on PTree Industrial (north of McGinnis Ferry)

Wilkes/Cumming 400, left on 369 for about 5-6 miles, left at the light, on the left
    New Albany, Ohio