Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini max help

Options
I'm a long time large BGE user.  I just got a mini max for Christmas and tried to smoke a pork butt yesterday.

The fire was struggling after 6 hours, temp on meat thermometer dropped, so I finished indoors.  When the egg cooled, I looked at the left over lump and could see that there was a significant amount of lump, away from where the burn appeared to have moved, and that most likely was not going to catch as gravity wasn't going to feed it into the center like the large does to some extent.

I started the fire with one Tumbleweed starter (Lowes) dead center.  Once the starter was consumed, there was no significant drop in dome temp like I see on the large.  The lump was hot and it was really going.  I had to choke it down to get it to 250.  The starter also seemed to catch quite a bit of lump by then to the point I was afraid I'd burn it all up.

Questions:

Any advice on lighting the mini max so that the fire will consume all the lump if need be to keep the cook going?

How long can you expect the mini max to keep a 250 temp on a single load?

What process do you follow to get the mmax up to your desired cook temperature.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    what brand lump are you using?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    I managed 8 hours on my first low and slow, I had the opposite problem, temp held steady for the first 6 hours or so (with minor adjustments) but then started climbing towards the end to the point that I shut it down to let it finish, pulled the 7 lber at 196, a little short of my goal because the masses were starving, but it was plenty tender.

How much lump did you use? I loaded mine with royal oak to the brim, to the point that my improvised plate setter was actually resting on the lump a little because I was afraid of running out. When it was all said and done I had quite a bit of lump left, below is the post. You have to scroll to the end to see what was left

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1892475/#Comment_1892475

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This is how I light my MM :) It lights all and stays lighted. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Back Yard Dan
    Options
    Went to 3 different HD stores but couldn't find any Royal Oak, so I picked up some Cowboy lump at Lowes.  I don't think the brand of lump is the issue, it's the burn pattern based on how you light it as the burn moved from center to the back and left unburnt the lump in the front.  With my large, the sage advice was that the number of starters used was dependent on how hot you wanted it to get.  With low and slow, one or two starters towards the center always seemed to work as the lump pile was deep in the center and gravity would feed lump towards the center and the fire seemed to spread outwards a bit.  On the MM the lump pile is not deep and its evenly spread.  One starter had me at 300+ once it was consumed.  I'm afraid that starting the fire in more places to get a more even burn might exacerbate the temp problem.

I plan on starting in more place with pieces of a starter...if that doesn't work, putting a little lump in a chimney a spreading across the top.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan