Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nashville this week

Options
Heading to Nashville to work this week, cool spots? Been to several, looking for blues and Q!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Jack's BBQ is good.  Right downtown across from the hockey arena and by tons of bars. Hope you like country music 
  • nth78
    Options
    Jack's BBQ is good.  Right downtown across from the hockey arena and by tons of bars. Hope you like country music 

• beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    peg leg porker in the gulch is great bbq.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Try to find one night to stay out really late. That's part of the experience. You will hear some great music. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Skip the BBQ and get some hot chicken at Hattie B's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Ron, it's been years since lived there but a breakfast tradition, particularly on weekends was to eat at the Pancake Pantry.  Breakfast of choice after late night out.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    The Southern is a great restaurant about a block from the Country Music Hall of fame towards the river, glass enclosed kitchen, excellent steaks.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    Ron, if you get the chance, def go to Husk (call for reservations). 

Casual spots not flooded by tourists:
    - Hattie B's for hot chicken (nashville thing)
    - Gabby's Burgers - see reviews -> yelp.com/biz/gabbys-burgers-nashville
    - Peg Leg Porker - Memphis style ->yelp.com/biz/peg-leg-porker-nashville
    - Yazoo brewing (right around corner from Peg Leg)
    - Carter's vintage instruments (if you play a guitar or bass) - best store for guitarists for about 1000 miles in any direction. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • nth78
    Options
    I will second Hattie b's.  Very good
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Caution on Hattie B's-  It is really hot. No joke. I wouldn't risk it on the first day! +1 peg leg porker -  Very good Q. Plenty of live music downtown. Enjoy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wish I could trade trips with you this week. Enjoy. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Loveless Cafe. Be sure to get some Peach Rub and a few jars of preserves. Arnolds for lunch... Downtown 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Safe travels Ron....sounds like you have options.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Newport65
    Options
    Great timing on this thread.  I will be there next week

Farmington, CT

LBGE

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Another vote here for Husk and Hattie B's here. Both are very different and very delicious. The honey lard butter at Husk is, well ...
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Tons of cool things to do in Nashville......go to pollster.com and check for what all live events are taking place while you are in town.  You need to go down and check out the Ryman Auditorium.  Jack's BBQ isn't far away.  and while it is "world famous", I think it's just OK at best.  I actually liked Pork Legger's better.  

If you are musically inclined at all, then by all means check out Gruhn's guitars.......you will see one of the coolest collections of vintage guitars available for purchase anywhere and may even run into a celebrity doing some shopping there.

if you are into the more commercial aspect of things, then head out to Opry Mills mall.....they have a fantastic state of the art theater, one of the coolest Bass Pro Shops you will ever see and lots of great shopping and dining.....plus they usually have live music taking place at various places inside the mall.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Doing some stuff with some of the guitar manufacturers here. Pretty cool gig this week.
    Thank you to everyone that have me some tips. 
    I have worked here a lot previously, and have tried some of the food places mentioned. The venues are great for the music scene here, of course. BBKings blues bar tonight at 11:00 has a special blues jam session tonight (a client and friend got me tix to this) should be fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    I second arnolds for lunch.  they have construction going on right now, but still open.  get there early (10:45 to 11:00) or you'll be waiting in line outside.  highly recommend the roast beef.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Update on those meals Ron?

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Ron if you like Thai food you should check out Siam Cafe.  We've been eating there for nearly 10yrs. It's a necessity anytime we go to Nashville.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I think I am the most ungrateful guest ever, and I wasn't even trying.
    My client, and his wife, invited me to their home for a "home cooked meal." I accepted, and I demanded that I bring something, and I told them I would bring a red and a white for dinner. I was told to be there at 7:00. 
    After work I stopped at the wine shop, picked up a Caymus, and  I selected a  Flowers chard. Both are very good, and hopefully would expressly gratitude for the kind offer, they had extended.
    Hit the showers then headed over to this freaking monster of a home down on the lake.
    I pulled up to the front, got out, and immediately smelled the grill. It had just been lit, and I could smell the lighter fluid. The heavy blue black smoke was rolling around the house from the back patio.
    The poor guy asked what restaurants I liked, and I told him home cooking is my favorite, but anyplace that cooks over a pit grill is in my wheel house. He said "Fantastic, I love to grill, and I am very good at it." Of course he followed with the invitation.
    There I was, at the front door snorting kerosene laden, burning kingsford, while ringing the doorbell.
    His wife answered the door. She is a very beautiful, charming mother of one son and devoted wife to her husband. The home was beautiful, I commented everything that caught my attention. She and I made small talk while I opened the white, poured three glasses, and we went outside to the patio. Gorgeous place, right?  
    We Went out back and he was working his ass off getting the grill going. It was a Traeger. He has had issues with it for some time, because the black smoke stain on the back of his beautiful home told the story of a bad decision on an overpriced POS, which his pride will not let it go.
    I have known plenty of folks that have those grills, when they work they are awesome, and those owners are loyal and swear by them. I have known others that have not had very good luck, and swear at them. This night, it was of the latter group.
    His wife walked out and just gave the poor guy hell, In a friendly, joking matter. Needless to say, he was ready for a refill within moments.
    I asked if I could help, having fixed a couple  recently for my friends, I had become familiar with the feeder.
    He graciously declined, but those pork chops looked too damn good to get covered in kerosene soot. 
    I insisted. We extinguished the fire, gave it some time to cool down and I got into it. 
    He was very appreciative, once we got her back operating.
    It had been "fixed" by him and others so many times, it was now nothing more than very poorly vented charcoal pit. But after about an hour we had it smoking again.
    As we were drinking the second bottle of white, his wife brought out, he asked me what I grill with.
    Wrong Question!! Well, maybe not. I gave the wrong answer. We'll maybe not the wrong answer, but the delivery was not as gracious as, perhaps, it could have been, at my host's home.
    I told him, I had a Big Green Egg, in fact I love it so much, I bought the mini max so I can take it with me when I travel.
    Swear to all things Holy, it got dead silent right there.
    He proceeded to tell me how he bought one, a medium. He didn't like it, and gave it to his son. He followed by telling me, his son refused to come over and have dinners when he grills anymore, and frankly, does not see him a whole lot since the regifting of the medium. Like an idiot, I asked if his son would be interested in selling it. 
    Boom. Wrong thing. Again.
    In a very tight lipped, barely audible no, accompanied with the most evil death stare I have ever seen any human give, I felt a very cold chill go through my body.
    Honest as heck, his wife began tearing up, got her wine glass and went inside.
    He and I continued cooking in silence, slamming back large swigs, frequently, watching the cook on the cold and silent night.
    The chops came out great, the sides were awesome.
    There was Zero conversation, at the table and the evening was as awkward, as a new born pony trying to get up on his legs for the first time. Awkward!
    I tried to make conversation light, and talked about the grilling I do, how often and how much fun My Beautiful Wife and I have with our dinner parties for friends and family.
    Boom.
    Wrong move.
    Apparently, the more I spoke the worse it got. 
    I did not stay any longer than I had to. I helped with the dishes, and busted a move out of there.
    Before I left. I thanked them sincerely, and told them anytime they have problems in the future, to give me a call, and I would come down to help. I also mentioned I have fixed those things so often, I have been getting really good with it. I also said when I come back I will bring my tools, to make the adjustments it will need after it starts drying out some. I topped that off by telling them I have one on my garage, I 
    picked up off the street, after it was thrown out, following my neighbors getting a XL BGE, just like mine.
    Again, wrong thing to say. I was ushered out the door.
    When I was getting in my car, I swear I heard him outside kicking his Traeger, and cussing like a sailor. 
    I am just not very good at things. I was trying to be helpful and friendly, but, well, it did not work out.
    So far, my only other meal to speak of is the Nashville Hot Chicken I have had for lunch. Pretty tasty and hotter than blue blazes.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @YukonRon     Well ain't that a kick in the pants. Ha....we have to tell it like it is brother. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sorry for the awkward evening but thanks for the hilarious story brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Reminds me of the saying, "When in a hole, stop digging!"  Great story.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Damn Ron, that is one cringe-worthy story. It sounds like they gave the son an egg, and now they don't see him much because he won't come over for dinner. Obviously the son got the egg figured out so is cooking all the time. The ungrateful little bastard should invite his parents over for dinner sometime though.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Damn Ron, that is one cringe-worthy story. It sounds like they gave the son an egg, and now they don't see him much because he won't come over for dinner. Obviously the son got the egg figured out so is cooking all the time. The ungrateful little bastard should invite his parents over for dinner sometime though.
    Or sell it to me, thereby eliminating all issues.
    I really believe to are correct. I think there invitations not taken due to pride issues. 
    Me, I ain't proud. Just sayin'. My motto: "If it is free, you can count on me."

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Did you ask if the son was on the web sight? Probably shouldn't have, and probably a good move. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    There is a great restaurant downtown called M.  It is mostly locally sourced food if I remember correctly.  
    GREAT food and service!  

I'll be there myself tomorrow but won't have time to partake in the great food options in Nashville.  I'm sorta jealous now. 

meredith
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob