Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just head to the cereal aisle instead? LOL

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A new study just out suggest everybody that eats from organic shops will die, of something. Ha ha. A little common sense, right? I buy some organic free range chickens from time to time. They are awesome, but it's either that or some prime steaks. The price???? Wow! 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    that article blends semi-truth, with a little fear, and banks on reader ignorance (of the subject) to put things over the top.

based on some fact, but there's a lot being assumed and implied and omitted

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    One of the other gasses used to keep things looking fresh is argon.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    supermarket beef is cheap because corn is subsidized.  all you gotta do is feed beef subsidized corn (even though they aren't they aren't meant to eat corn), and it'll be cheaper than beef or chickens which aren't subsidized

we really aren't calculating the true cost of beef when we buy it at the supermarket.

all things taken into consideration, prices are comparable.
    an oldie but a goodie, the Omnivore's Dilemma covers much of this much better than i could

hell, even farmed salmon is being engineered now to eat corn.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    supermarket beef is cheap because corn is subsidized.  all you gotta do is feed beef subsidized corn (even though they aren't they aren't meant to eat corn), and it'll be cheaper than beef or chickens which aren't subsidized

we really aren't calculating the true cost of beef when we buy it at the supermarket.

all things taken into consideration, prices are comparable.
    an oldie but a goodie, the Omnivore's Dilemma covers much of this much better than i could

hell, even farmed salmon is being engineered now to eat corn.

All true. I'm pretty confident this will not likely ever change because the farm lobby touches so many people in every state. 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I can't stand how articles are layed out. I understand that they need the advertisement money but does that article really need to be 20 pages to milk it?

Consumers here are removed from the whole process and ignorant to what is used. The ones who do care or can afford it buy organic or from butchers.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I can't stand how articles are layed out. I understand that they need the advertisement money but does that article really need to be 20 pages to milk it?
    Some years ago, I had a friend who wrote for magazines. He said the only reason they exist is to sell advertisements. I assume digital isn't any different than paper pubs.

He also said that one of his jobs was to write "informative" articles which were given away free, so that adverts would be more effective.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    one page of twenty items (listed one after another) yields a metric of "one click".

a page-after-page slideshow yields twenty clicks, and  twenty more adds to display

it's good you have someone visit your page.  it's better to have them visit twenty of your pages

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    one page of twenty items (listed one after another) yields a metric of "one click".

a page-after-page slideshow yields twenty clicks, and  twenty more adds to display

it's good you have someone visit your page.  it's better to have them visit twenty of your pages

It was a public service announcement. Man you are so cynical.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    still right though