Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xlarge assories

Options
What all are the best assories for the xlarge green egg I want another level or two but looking for advise. Also how about temp controls what is everyone using ? Thanks in advance 

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'll take a few assories , never can have enough.  ;)

the answer.

adjustable rig, ceramic grill store..
    guru, the flame boss or digi q for a temperature controller. 

$500 or so and you are set to go sir,
    Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Adjustable rig, Smokeware cap and thermapen, then your on fire brother!  Start simple and add gradually.  Others will whole heartedly disagree ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Adjustable Rig works with the plate setter in the XL.  Get the SS drip pan as well.  I also recommend the Thermapen.  The Smokeware cap and temp controllers are nice, but I don't want to spend all your money.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I love assories
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Gzig
    Gzig Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a place setter, cast grates , and a maverick temp control so far , but thanks for all the info defently going to spend some $. The adjustable rig and flame boss are two I want to get so far how does the flame boss hold up against  the green egg guru ?
  • burnithot
    burnithot Posts: 37
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got for my xl looflighter 2 cast iron grates 1 solid cast iron grate (rib on the back side) great for breakfast  digi q and cyberQ lots of hand held thermometers couple of pizza stones have a home made rasied grate and hope to be picking up a mini max today with a few extras to go with it 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get an adjustable rig and skip the temp controller.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I love assories
    I didn't notice that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Every time I go by an egg store or a cooking supply shop, I've got to go in look at the all the neat stuff.i've probably spent 600$ on extrA stuff since last March when I bought my exlarge egg. The way I look at it, as long as the home front is taken care of, then I deserve a treat once and awhile.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Waygu Brisket from @SRFShane
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I've only been Egging for about 5 years. The BEST thing I ever bought for my XL was the AR/Woo2 combo about a year ago. I gave/threw away about 30 pounds of assorted junk that marginally worked for different types of cooks. I wish I had known about CGS before cobble jockeying all that stuff. The Thermapen had much effect on the quality of my cooks but I was getting by with conventional thermometers.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No disrespect to those who like their temperature controllers.  I wanted one bad in the early days.  My confidence level has increased and the XL burns long and consistent with a good fire base.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I only suggest controllers for overnighters or frequent entertainers. Eases your mind and relieves unneeded stress in those situations. Well worth it for those folks. Not needed for everyday use. Although, some people use them every day. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I only suggest controllers for overnighters or frequent entertainers. Eases your mind and relieves unneeded stress in those situations. Well worth it for those folks. Not needed for everyday use. Although, some people use them every day. 
    Precisely why I have a Flame Boss coming for my birthday present soon. 

I want the peace of mind on overnight low and slows, but not for everyday use.

I can monitor my Egg and enjoy adult beverages for shorter cooks.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... Not needed for everyday use. ...
    ...I want the peace of mind on overnight low and slows, but not for everyday use. ...
    You two make me laugh 'cuz it sounds a lot like, "I only buy Playboy for the stories."

I use a controller for ANY low-n-slow ... even for five hour baby back cooks.  With the controller and an alarm clock, I can forget about the cook ... no worries mate.  When I get interested in something, the rest of the world simply goes away.  The Guru and the Flameboss are my alter egos who watch my back.

Besides, you know the food's going to be good, so I focus on the challenge of correctly balancing the variables to achieve really tight temp control.  No overshoot on start-up and right at target temp with little deviation for the whole cook ... damn but that feels good.  Here's my last baby back cook:

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ... Not needed for everyday use. ...
    ...I want the peace of mind on overnight low and slows, but not for everyday use. ...
    You two make me laugh 'cuz it sounds a lot like, "I only buy Playboy for the stories."

I use a controller for ANY low-n-slow ... even for five hour baby back cooks.  With the controller and an alarm clock, I can forget about the cook ... no worries mate.  When I get interested in something, the rest of the world simply goes away.  The Guru and the Flameboss are my alter egos who watch my back.

Besides, you know the food's going to be good, so I focus on the challenge of correctly balancing the variables to achieve really tight temp control.  No overshoot on start-up and right at target temp with little deviation for the whole cook ... damn but that feels good.  Here's my last baby back cook:

Hey, like they say Tom, if you got it flaunt it. I don't have any problem with using it all the time, just not for me. I guess if I got in the routine, I would go that way?? Who knows, maybe I'll be an everyday convert some day. It certainly isn't going to hurt your cooking. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    No disrespect to those who like their temperature controllers.  I wanted one bad in the early days.  My confidence level has increased and the XL burns long and consistent with a good fire base.  
    There is one variable that can effect a low and slow cook and that is wind. With my Cyber Q and the Pit Viper I have been able to cook overnight during windy conditions and 50 MPH wind gusts. My temp was 225 +- 5 degrees for the 16 hr cook. Even if I had my vent sidings dialed in correctly it would have been difficult to control the temp under those conditions.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Get expensive controllers last, because the egg inherently controls temps for many hours once you're through the learning curve.  Also, check out @RRP rec of tip top temp controller, inexpensive option I have no experience with but would consider!

http://tiptoptemp.com/
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @bgebrent ... a friend has one so I was able to play around with it.  Very simple concept that, with some limitations, works well.  I just couldn't get the graphing function to work!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bgebrent
    Options
    @bgebrent ... a friend has one so I was able to play around with it.  Very simple concept that, with some limitations, works well.  I just couldn't get the graphing function to work!
    Well, without the graphing function, XL spreadsheet and send to YouTube functions, it's value does diminish. =)