Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

right temp for smoking turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to do the Worth-the-Wait turkey from Smoke and Spice. They recommend a temperature of 200-250F. Is this safe to do or am I going to poison everyone? If I kick the temp up to 325, will it cook too fast? Thanks.

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Barbara from MD,
    Yes that temp. is safe! I try to keep my Eggs at 225 degrees on the dome while I'm smoking turkeys. If you kick it up a couple of notches to 325 degrees, IMHO I think you will be disatisfied and stand a good chance of having a "dried-out bird"![p]Give me a shout via e-mail, and I will send you the directions and recipes I made up for my kids as they started using their Eggs![p]Good luck! Dr. Chicken

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Barbara from MD,
    225F will give you a nice, moist bird. If you want a crisp skin, kick the temp up to 325F for the last 45 minutes or so.
    JimW