Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When should the Christmas Lights come down? Completely OT

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Since the boys grew up and left the nest, and I'm often not home for Christmas anyway, I most often don't bother with lights. When I do, they come down whenever I can force myself to do it. One year it was April. =) 

Back in the day though... There are Christmas tree farms all around me. We used to grab a saw and head out for a family outing to select and cut a fresh tree every year. Any kind or size we wanted; balsam fir, douglas fir, Scotch pine, blue spruce, several others, I'm sure. Acres and acres of 'em within just a few miles of our house. The colder the weather, the faster we selected one. 

This place is three miles from my house. No idea who these folks are, or who took the pic... it's just the best pic I could find. And a tree from this place was still up in April one year. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Since the boys grew up and left the nest, and I'm often not home for Christmas anyway, I most often don't bother with lights. When I do, they come down whenever I can force myself to do it. One year it was April. =) 

Back in the day though... There are Christmas tree farms all around me. We used to grab a saw and head out for a family outing to select and cut a fresh tree every year. Any kind or size we wanted; balsam fir, douglas fir, Scotch pine, blue spruce, several others, I'm sure. Acres and acres of 'em within just a few miles of our house. The colder the weather, the faster we selected one. 

This place is three miles from my house. No idea who these folks are, or who took the pic... it's just the best pic I could find. And a tree from this place was still up in April one year. :)

Very cool story. I do not feel so bad. No judging here brother.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Mine came down today
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    We did ours today but our goal was the first.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thinking later than the first

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Whenever the HOA makes me...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,236
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    As long as you're down by the Super Bowl, you're good. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    As long as you're down by the Super Bowl, you're good. 
    Like the way you think. I will get My Beauriful Wife on it. She should be done by then.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Same time the tree is taken down/out.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Same time the tree is taken down/out.
    That just seems so logical.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WWJD?
    Options
    WWJD?
    Supposedly he was a carpenter, union rules would give him double time for electrical work on Holidays. I think he would work it in around building cabinets and turning water into wine, 3 days later.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    @Carolina Q that's how we did it growing up - day after Thanksgiving, pile into the station wagon, up the hill into the Santa Cruz mtns to cut down a fresh tree.  Weather dictated how picky we were, I remember one year watching from the car as my dad was the only one to go out in the downpour and cut one right next to the road. Not the most symmetrical tree that year, but nobody said anything.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Now, I really have to start thinking about taking the lights down.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    You have the whole weekend. No need to rush into it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    April, its just to GD cold outside until then
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    By the end of the Rose Bowl. I watch football and watch SWMBO take down the tree. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Mine are coming down tomorrow. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Outside lights stay up through New Year's Day.  Usually take down the first weekend after the 1st. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.