Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone NOT stain/seal their cypress table?

Options
    Christmas present from the wife: BGE cypress table and table nest for my XL. 

Anticipating the gift, I've read lots of table threads on the forum. It seems pretty everyone seals and/or stains their cypress tables.  I would actually prefer my table to fade to gray as I think it would look good on my deck. However, I'm concerned it might end up looking  look weird with lots of water staining marks.

I don't plan on covering it and I live in New England.   Anyone ever go no treatment and just let the wood weather naturally? Is this a bad idea? 

Thanks and Merry Christmas! 

Comments

• egghead43
    Options
    No and maybe :)  I imagine the table won't last long.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Cypress stands up to moisture well, as you seem to know, and the natural weathering does create that gray look.  I think it's a matter of preference.  I come from down in the South Georgia swampland originally, and used a lot of cypress for different projects.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ours has some mildew on it and I regret not sealing it.  Next summer I'm going to figure out how to clean and stain it.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I too did not stain and seal my table, and it looks really bad. Stain and seal it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have built many indoor and outdoor cypress things.  Including two egg tables and a table for my cold smoker. 

There are two general types of cypress.  Farmed new growth and recycled and sinker old growth.

New growth will have a 1/8-1/4" per year growth rate.  Old cypress grew very slowly.  The conditions were different, the wood of the new growth will dry rot.   The old growth is about one of the most element-resistant woods you can buy.

Unless it's a boutique table, it's going to be new growth.  It's fine to let it age but please seal it at some point, or keep it dry.  I recommend all cypress get sealed. 

If you choose to give it the patina (then seal), just don't let any grease drip on it.  It stains, most softwoods stain, very easily.   That could add to your intended effect, but it can also look "dirty".   My opinion.
    Options
    Thanks guys. Still trying to decide, I don't want that super shiny, laminated look as it won't look right on my deck, but at the same time I don't want it to look dirty or rot. 

To be clear, it's a BGE brand table.