Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal Top Daisy Wheel - Do you clean it?

Options
Still a newbie.... :)

The last couple times I've used my egg, I can't adjust the daisy wheel until its heated up a couple minutes.  I'm tempted to wash it in hot soapy water. Thoughts?

I'm assuming it's okay to wash?
Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start. ~Anthony Bourdain

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Treat it just like like any other cast iron, and you are set
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Yeah, it'll be fine.  You can throw it in the egg for a clean burn as well. It's just a chunk of cast iron.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I always store my daisy wheel inside the egg as soon as I shut the vents and put the cap back on. The daisy wheel goes inside the hot egg and I never have a problem adjusting it.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I always store my daisy wheel inside the egg as soon as I shut the vents and put the cap back on. The daisy wheel goes inside the hot egg and I never have a problem adjusting it.
    Agree. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I was never in the burn off crowd back in my pre-SmokeWare days when I used the cast iron  Daisey. Instead I preferred to soak it overnight in household ammonia. In the morning under running water the built up creosote would brush off. The burn off encourages rust unless you bother to reseason it. BTW every other year normally was plenty! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Clean it? I rarely even USE it. Top is wide open for almost every cook. Mostly, it's completely unnecessary.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Clean it? I rarely even USE it. Top is wide open for almost every cook. Mostly, it's completely unnecessary.
    I understand that several people cook with top wide open. Good for them. 
    I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to use the daisy-wheel. I can eaisly dial into my desired temp by adjusting both the top and bottom vent. I know my settings.  It works great using both. I'd never take the top wheel off unless I'm shooting for inferno temps.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to use the daisy-wheel. I can eaisly dial into my desired temp by adjusting both the top and bottom vent. I know my settings.  It works great using both. I'd never take the top wheel off unless I'm shooting for inferno temps.
    Agree.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Suit yourselves. I don't understand why you WOULD want to use it. I know my setting too. And I only have to know one of them. I used to use the DFMT. When I thought you were supposed to.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Suit yourselves. I don't understand why you WOULD want to use it. I know my setting too. And I only have to know one of them. I used to use the DFMT. When I thought you were supposed to.
    A little salty tonight, are you? 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    A little salty tonight, are you? 
    Sorry. Didn't mean to be. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I don't use Daisy on either my Large BGE or my KJ Jr.
    Strictly SS chimney caps from Smokeworks.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Agree.
    Me three.  Just set it in the egg every time you shut down and it will keeping working perfectly.   Every once in a while I will spray it with some Pam.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2015
    Options

I only use the daisy wheel.  Keep the bottom open wide and make adjustments with the top. One setting to mess with and I don't have to bend over. :smiley: 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    It's all about airflow when adjusting temp. Either or both vents will control temps. I'll have to play with that. I've always used both. 

Personally i I feel like closing down the top vent will help keep the heat pushing down on the food. Especially when trying to crisp up som wings or have the top of the pizza done when the crust is done. Wings tonight so I may try the one vent method and see how it goes.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My small egg and KJ Jr I can dial in with just the bottom vent. I've cooked on a large egg and been able to control temps with just the bottom. On my XL egg, if I don't have a top on, it likes to take off.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker