Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have a stove hood over their BGE

Options
I am placing my BGE under a A-framed patio that is large and bought a range hood to deal with the smoke.  Any idea how big of an in-line fan I need (CFM rating)?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL is the man for this. 
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Following....
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've considered doing this. How many cookers whether they be eggs or whatever are you trying to vent?  Yes I realize you referenced "an" egg. But, I would imagine for such an expenditure you would be venting more than one vessel.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    2nd question is....are you DIY or hiring someone to do it?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Before you can even discuss CFM there are design factors that need to addressed. Not trying to be an ass but, that's such an open ended question. What kind of roof, ceiling, walls, etc 
    About like asking what size tires should I buy?  What kind of vehicle etc etc. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Before you can even discuss CFM there are design factors that need to addressed. Not trying to be an ass but, that's such an open ended question. What kind of roof, ceiling, walls, etc 
    About like asking what size tires should I buy?  What kind of vehicle etc etc. 

I like "how long is the string?"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You lost me on that one @DMW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    A question that doesn't have an answer. And I said it wrong, it should be "How long is a piece of string?"

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:
    A question that doesn't have an answer. And I said it wrong, it should be "How long is a piece of string?"

Pretty much. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Go redneck exhaust method. Box fan zip tied sideways to a rafter :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here are some links to peruse. & Welcome to the madness. 
    http://www.bbqguys.com/category_path_11478.html

:star: http://m.grainger.com/mobile/search?searchQuery=commercial+hood&nls=1

:star: http://www.prolinerangehoods.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71

http://www.amazon.com/ZL36ar697-Stainless-Steel-Outdoor-36-Inch/dp/B00E4O0GXE

If I were doing it I'd want the motor to be belt driven vs direct drive and blower to be located on the roof to minimize db levels. The actual hood would be lighted & 72"-84" ducted to the roof exhaust. CFM 1,200 would be plenty. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 1409egger
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of information.  I will try to get pictures soon, but I have a brick fireplace in the center of the A frame and to the right will be the large green egg.  I am only exhausting that one vessel.  I have a 46" hood with black pipe to the ceiling approx 14 feet long, there will be two elbows and a in-line fan (to decrease the db) that will join the fireplace chimney to go out the roof.  I was thinking 1200 cfm myself from my research.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yep 1,200 for your application is plenty and should also allow for future expansion should you decide on purchasing more vessels. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    That's funny. I didn't know eggs was singular. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Putterrr
    Options
    DMW said:

Actually the answer is "Twice the distance from the middle to the end". 
    Cheers
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lighting the egg may be a problem when the smoke is heavey and lazy. ideally the vent needs to be within 14 inches to the source. once the egg is hot the smoke moves up faster and it wouldnt be much of a concern but i wonder how it will work with that heavey smoke that hangs there. my shop fills with welding smoke fast if those vents are not really close
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    1409egger said:
    Sorry for the lack of information.  I will try to get pictures soon, but I have a brick fireplace in the center of the A frame and to the right will be the large green egg.  I am only exhausting that one vessel.  I have a 46" hood with black pipe to the ceiling approx 14 feet long, there will be two elbows and a in-line fan (to decrease the db) that will join the fireplace chimney to go out the roof.  I was thinking 1200 cfm myself from my research.
    My wife and I are considering building a (separate from our house!) screened in porch with a outdoor kitchen inside. Of course our egg will be an important part. I would like to put a decorative hood over the egg to keep smoke away, much like a restaurant.

My question: Does there need to be a fan? Wouldn't the smoke naturally escape if the flu was large enough? Currently we have a medium.

Anyone with a covered area care to offer some advice?
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    If you oversize an exhauster, could you risk pulling too much and causing a pressure drop in the egg only to be relieved by bringing in more air through the bottom vent thus causing spikes in temp?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'm curious - hoods work well in an enclosed environment in large part because there is (usually at least) a lack of natural breezes blowing thru your kitchen.

The same is not true outdoors except on the most calm of days. It wouldn't take much of a breeze to make it difficult for the exhaust smoke from a grill to track up into even a quite powerful hood.

If you place a hood too close to the egg exhaust would that have an effect on airflow/temps in the egg itself?

Don't have any answers here - just curious.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk