Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cookbook recommendations for college-aged kids

Options
looking for some books for my kids to use as references while at school - mainly to provide ideas, basic recipes, not over complicated, ingredient and technique-laden stuff.  time and ingredients are what they will have the least of.

I've done my share of looking around on Amazon, but wanted to see what folks here know and like - I trust the collective recommendations of this forum.

grilling as well as basic cooking recommendations welcome

thx!

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    YouTube.com.

or some type of e-cookbook
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Cooks illustrated monthly subscription - I think they're great, they explain why they do stuff in detail and the food is good. I think I have learned more about cooking from CI than any other source. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    since nola is not here, thug kitchen =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    How about taking some of the simple dishes you make every day (obviously excluding the egg'ed products) and teaching them how to prepare them creating their own recipe book.  We did this for both of our kids. Our daughter's school had pretty decent food, but our son was SO grateful that he learned how to cook because 1) the school had full kitchens in the dorms and 2) the food service food was less than palatable. He got the minimum meal plan because he and 3 or 4 of his friends took turns cooking dinner for the group. He added dishes to his repertoire over the years and is a pretty dang good cook. Not to mention, now he also has an XL BGE.   

There is always the Betty Crocker cookbooks. I am quite certain that we all have some of those starter cookbooks that we haven't touched in decades, but are still on the shelf - maybe start there. 
  • MelSharples
    Options
    The first cookbook I bought for myself was How To Cook Everything. 2000+ basic recipes covering most of the standard meals you would find in an American kitchen. Breakfasts, dinners, desserts, baked goods, meats, fish, and poultry, etc.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    The Southern Living Cookbook was one of my first (many years ago) and remains a great resource for me today. I have provided both of my adult offspring with these books as they stepped (ok we pushed them) out of the nest. I would highly recommend it. 

• Product Details
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    I think that for very basic recipes, the Taste of Home cookbooks are a great place to start.  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    They're already in school and cooking a bunch now?  When I was in school it was just easier and more convenient to go out and grab something or pop in left overs most of the time.  But if they're into cooking, YouTube cooking channels are great starts, most have websites associated with them to learn more and get more recipes.  Some good channels to check out are Hilah Cooking, Jamie Oliver's Food Tube and a lot of his associated people, Sorted Food, Laura in the Kitchen, Everyday Food, Byron Talbott, Donal Skehan, Food Wishes (he's with Allrecipes.com and does a wide range of different things.  

A better option than Youtube and books, if they're serious about cooking and will use it might be a subscription to something like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh.  I tried a free sample from Hello Fresh, it came with everything I needed right to the door for 3 meals I think, with recipe cards with pictures for each step. Very simple and requires no effort other than prep and cooking, ideal for college kids honestly.  They can save the cards in a binder to the meals they liked and make their own cook book.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Before the advent of the internet my wife collected cookbooks for nearly 40 years. She has a library of over 1,100 cookbooks. Today only 20 or so get opened in a year's time, and half of those are by me. We do have two suggestions however: The New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated and/or the loose leaf The Taste of Home. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
     Another vote for "How to Cook Everything." I gave it to my sister when she decided she wanted to learn how to cook at the age of 45. She absolutely loves it.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is an excellent basic cookbook. You should be able to check it out at any bookstore.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    Based in your target audience...  A Man, A Can, A plan.

By no means is this a quality cookbook.  Nor is the food overly healthy.  But it is a step more than heating up hot pockets.  I gave this to my brother in law when he went to college.

There is also a microwave and a grill book in the series.  I have never actually looked at those.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    fantastic suggestions, keep them coming.  I should clarify, each kid is different in their interest in cooking, their skills and knowledge, and of course their willingness to experiment.  So this broad range of suggestions is perfect - I'm not looking to get the same book(s) for all of them.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When my youngest son moved off campus, I bought him a few book's from Cook's Illustrated. They have a line of "Best" books. I recall I gave him "Best Skillet Recipes," and "Best under 30 Minute Recipes." They used to have a small series of "How-To," which seem to be out of print. I got him "How To Sauté," which not only had methods for various items, but also how to make quick pan sauces from the residue.

Also let him have a small Le Creuset enameled CI pan, which he had been using at hom for fried eggs, grilled cheese, etc.

Saved him a good bit of money, and he got to eat better.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    And then there is this classic.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    i used a cheap version of this potlifter, no pot needed. open can, eat 1 inch cold, put can on burner and slowly heat, eat from can using potlifter as a handle =)   roommates tend to leave all the dishes dirty in the sink. you eat the 1 inch to avoid boil over. 

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Definitely America's Test Kitchen cookbook on Amazon.  I have it now that I am pretty good at cooking, but wish it was the first one I got.
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    I was given a copy of The Starving Students Cookbook when I moved out. Everything in it was very simple and most could be done on a cook top or with a toaster oven. It was great for when I moved into a studio apartment with a very small kitchen. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA