Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My first 'unstuffed' Pork Tenderloin

CJCJ Posts: 50
edited 12:57PM in EggHead Forum
Ok..... laid it out, made three cuts parallel, pressed it out, then applied the stuffing....cornbread, cranberries, apricots, and all the rest. Problem? I couldn't wrap it back up because the stuffing took up all the 'slack'. Although I forced it and it was highly edible, but ugly!! Should I have 'hammered' it a bit flat to give me some stretch? I would have liked for it to overlap, but in fact I could'nt even close it up.

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    <p />CJ,[p]Try your next one without the long seam. Using a fillet knife, turn it into a tube. Then all you have to do is stitch the ends after stuffing.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,791
    Here's an alternative that has worked for me after having the same "kinda ugly" results that you had. Instead of starting with a tenderloin I use a simple pork roast, but since you will be layering it thinly it is quite tender. So I start with a long, very sharp filet knife like this

and then carefully jelly roll cut that round roast into a layer of meat. I then add whatever I want - BTW the match stick looking things are pieces of apple that work great inside pork!!!

Then roll it up, tie with butchers' twine and cook. It stays together and once sliced off into servings the visual presentation on your plate really rocks!

Dunlap, IL
  • chucklschuckls Posts: 399
  • CJCJ Posts: 50
    Thanks for the the way, beautiful knife, I have one exactly like it...'Finland'.

• CJCJ Posts: 50
    That really look interesting...I'll have to try that, thanks for the info and pic.