Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first 'unstuffed' Pork Tenderloin

Options
CJ
CJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok..... laid it out, made three cuts parallel, pressed it out, then applied the stuffing....cornbread, cranberries, apricots, and all the rest. Problem? I couldn't wrap it back up because the stuffing took up all the 'slack'. Although I forced it and it was highly edible, but ugly!! Should I have 'hammered' it a bit flat to give me some stretch? I would have liked for it to overlap, but in fact I could'nt even close it up.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    6e2c19a4.jpg
    <p />CJ,[p]Try your next one without the long seam. Using a fillet knife, turn it into a tube. Then all you have to do is stitch the ends after stuffing.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    CJ,
    Here's an alternative that has worked for me after having the same "kinda ugly" results that you had. Instead of starting with a tenderloin I use a simple pork roast, but since you will be layering it thinly it is quite tender. So I start with a long, very sharp filet knife like this

IMG_0711.jpg

and then carefully jelly roll cut that round roast into a layer of meat. I then add whatever I want - BTW the match stick looking things are pieces of apple that work great inside pork!!!
    IMG_0551.jpg

Then roll it up, tie with butchers' twine and cook. It stays together and once sliced off into servings the visual presentation on your plate really rocks!
    IMG_0558.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]whoa...
  • CJ
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks for the info....by the way, beautiful knife, I have one exactly like it...'Finland'.

• CJ
    Options
    thirdeye,
    That really look interesting...I'll have to try that, thanks for the info and pic.