Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The last hurdle...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am oh-so-close to dropping the dough on a large BGE- but after looking at one in person today, was concerned that the placement of the grill grate several inches below the top of the rim would make turning foods (burgers, fish- anything delicate) with a spatula nearly impossible.[p]Do you all have solutions to get around this? I would say at least a third of our grill time is spent on the quest for the ultimate burger- and looking at the egg it seemed that this might be made more difficult by its design. Please prove me wrong ('cause I really want one). ;)[p]Thanks in advance,[p]Jeff

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    J Brown,
    I usually don't find it to be much of a problem. However, you can always use the grill extender to get a cooking surface more even with the rim. A lot of us cook on a raised grate for foods that we don't want too close to a direct fire (like chicken).[p]But if I'm cooking something that I want closer to the flames (like a steak), and I ever have any problems getting a good angle, I just use the Grill Gripper to rotate the whole grate. You can simply spin the whole thing around until the meat is at an angle where it's easier to get the spatula under it.[p]Let us know if you get the Egg. We'd love to hear about your first cook!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    J Brown,
    If your worried a Lawn Ranger "The Char~Woody Angled Spat" will do the trick. The Egg is most certainly a mean green hamburger machine. I hear some even put slabs on onion in their burgers........

• The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    J Brown,
    I have never had a problem with flipping things using a spatula, mostly because I rarely have burgers right at the near edge where it would be a problem. For most foods besides hamburgers,I avoid the issue altogether by using tongs to move things around. [p]Brett

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    J Brown,[p]For some odd reason I never thought about I've always used tongs when I cooked even on the old gasser. The only time I even thought of using a spatula was with fish then I still used the tongs as an assist. First tiem I've ever heard someone voice that concern.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    J Brown,[p]I had the same thought when I got my first Egg and, quite frankly, have encountered those situations where I wish the grill were flush with the lip. One could use a raised grid, and I often do, but that moves the food further from the coals. But like the others say, one learns to adapt whether its a Weber kettle or an Egg. My wife's only complaint with the Egg is that my steaks don't have that burnt carbon taste anymore and she misses it!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Haggis,
    that reminds of the guys who think the smell of burning charcoal lighter fluid is what BBQ is all about and then smother everything with that gawd awful A-1 sauce!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    We cook hamburgers for nieces and nephews all the dang time and ain't had nary a problem grippin' and flippin' those rascals.....Drink the Kool-Aid.....and join the cult...and then you'll be addin' spare ribs, baby back ribs, ABTs, prime ribs, pork loins, spatchcocked chickens, chicken wings, beer can chickens, turkeys and on and on and on to your repertoire......[p]Don't let a hamburger stand in your way........[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Options
    J Brown,
    I've never thought about it as it has never been a problem to flip. You could always raise the grill if you wanted.