Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Skills help

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
edited November 2015 in Off Topic
Does anyone have any resources to help improve knife skills?

I find myself attempting more complex cooks and I get frustrated with how long prep takes.  Also, deboning is a nightmare.

any advice or direction is appreciated.  
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• johnnyp
    Options
    @pflug I had been thinking about this for a while, but your post inspired me to ask the forum.  Great job on the turkey
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Lots of stuff on YouTube.  

This one isn't too bad: https://youtu.be/cV0c7qiNjuI
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    As cazzy says ,  check you tube 

tons of them on there 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• johnnyp
    Options
    thanks @cazzy

i agree @Darby_Crenshaw, I'm just hoping that some people can offer advice as to what videos/ books offer more value 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Not sure if they have a Sur La Table or equivalent by you but they run all sorts of classes from building gingerbread houses to knife skills.

Your other option is YouTube and some cheap meat and lots of veggie.

• NewNashEgg
    Options
    I went through Culinary School and I've  cooked in plenty of kitchens. I'd watch YouTube videos to get the basic idea down,  make sure you've got good equipment,  and then start cutting vegetables all the time.  Speed builds with time and I don't really think there's any shortcut to it.  Some of the fastest prep guys I ever saw didn't go to school and had horrible technique...they just had to prep a **** ton of stuff and the only option was to get faster. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi @johnnyp   My knife skills need work as well.  It's not exactly what you were asking for, but I bought one of these:

When prepping veggies I pull it out.  Cleans up as quick as a knife and I can make perfect slice of tomatoes, pickles, onions etc.  It's crazy quick.  German made, about 39$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000632QE?keywords=borner mandoline&qid=1448772596&ref_=sr_ph&sr=1

Phoenix 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks @U_tarded!  Just went through half of it.  Great stuff!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This video really helped my technique:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you are a hands-on learner, your local community college may have a knife skills class. I did one through a cooking school. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm in debt to the grandfather chef, Jacques Pepin. Watch him here. Once you get that "claw" grip down, slicing becomes really fast, and better, safe! I was happy the day I sliced an onion w/o looking, while I chatted w. my wife.

There are also good vids of him de-boning a chicken, etc. Everything he demonstrates is as economical as possible, and produces the best results.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I have video of littlesteven boning a chicken. He said it was his first time but it looked like it was something he did regularly. 

Said it was easier to start by holding one chicken foot in each hand. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    blasting said:
    Hi @johnnyp   My knife skills need work as well.  It's not exactly what you were asking for, but I bought one of these:

When prepping veggies I pull it out.  Cleans up as quick as a knife and I can make perfect slice of tomatoes, pickles, onions etc.  It's crazy quick.  German made, about 39$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000632QE?keywords=borner mandoline&qid=1448772596&ref_=sr_ph&sr=1

One of those sent me to the ER and left a dime sized chunk of my thumb with potential sweet potato chips on the cutting board.  Great product, but absolutely make sure you use the finger guard.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NewNashEgg
    Options
    Acn said:
    blasting said:

One of those sent me to the ER and left a dime sized chunk of my thumb with potential sweet potato chips on the cutting board.  Great product, but absolutely make sure you use the finger guard.
    I was always told it was the most dangerous piece of equipment in the kitchen while working at a couple places. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    A mandoline is way more dangerous than a sharp knife. Even when both are used properly

• A5firearms
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This video really helped my technique:

This guy is funny. You suck.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I'm in debt to the grandfather chef, Jacques Pepin. Watch him here. Once you get that "claw" grip down, slicing becomes really fast, and better, safe! I was happy the day I sliced an onion w/o looking, while I chatted w. my wife.

There are also good vids of him de-boning a chicken, etc. Everything he demonstrates is as economical as possible, and produces the best results.
    Jacques Pepin is da man! Years ago I would record his shows on VHS and watch them during the week to learn HOW to cook. I much preferred that style of programming over what's offered today. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    A mandoline is way more dangerous than a sharp knife. Even when both are used properly
    With a mandoline, you are moving the food against a blade, instead of the other way around.  

If a person is comfortable using a cheese grater, a mandoline shouldn't be an issue - same principle.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    blasting said:
    With a mandoline, you are moving the food against a blade, instead of the other way around.  

If a person is comfortable using a cheese grater, a mandoline shouldn't be an issue - same principle.

I've been using mandolines for a few decades with nary a nick. But then I don't try to slice down to that last 1/4" of a cuke or carrot or whatever. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    When somethin goes weong with a mandoline, it goes wrong real bad

sire, used properly (as i said) it should not be an issue

but a simple 8 inch knife is faster and more versatile. 

I use and own both. Not that any one person's experience here is definitive

I use the mandoline without the multipronged 'protector' because it butchers the food, and offers less control along with a false sense of security 

YMMV, but i'll take an 8inch chef's knife against a mandoline any day of the week

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options

but a simple 8 inch knife is faster 

I make potato chips all the time. Absolutely no way a knife is faster than my mandoline. I can slice a potato in about 10 seconds. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mandolins are amazing tools that I use routinely, with caution and respect.  A great tool!  My sharp knives are also sharp tools I use with respect.  There's really no difference unless you forget to pay attention.  In either case.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NewNashEgg
    Options
    Don't get greedy on the mandolin and use a hand towel...your good to go
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Does anyone have any resources to help improve knife skills?

I find myself attempting more complex cooks and I get frustrated with how long prep takes.  Also, deboning is a nightmare.

any advice or direction is appreciated.  
    Check with your local cooking supplies companies. They will sometimes host a variety of different classes with some being  technique based.

The Food Warehouse locations here in Atlanta offer several hands on knife skills classes at all of their locations. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'll give you potatoe chips. In fact, it's all i use the mandoline for

kinda proves the rule

unless you like waffle fries maybe, and chips, a mandoline is not fantastically superior to a knife with basic skills. sorry

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I watched the crafty videos years ago from word on this forum.  I watched once and the followed along the second time.  It cut prep time down considerably and I get more consistent pieces with less effort.  I think it's still free

http://www.craftsy.com/class/complete-knife-skills/560?ext=SEM_G_Food_FC_SL_Knife-Skills_NS_CSP&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=Keyword Targeting-Registrations&adwad_id=42279075217&adwadgr_id=8176551217&gclid=CKuz-ejstMkCFYNBfgode9UF4w&adwmtch_id=p&adwtarget_id=kwd-8982207863&adwd_id=m
    This post just cost me about 12-18 hours of my life and $208.  But I'm a much better chef than I was when you posted it or will be when I finish all of the classes I bought.  I had never heard of craftsy and ended up buying 10 classes at half off.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mandolines do one thing well.  Knives are another thing altogether.  My point is they are different enough to not be compared unless there is a specific application.  You can not debone a chicken with a mandoline.  But you cannot cut even slices with a knife as quickly and accurately as a mandoline unless you are a jedi.