Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why we don't tire of turkey, nor have 6 recipes for using it up

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
seems like the country always loves their turkey on TGD and by the end of the next few days everybody loathes it! Why? Too much of the same food day after day turns people sour. What we have always done is to lay off turkey Friday and Saturday and then reheat all the left overs for a return feast on Sunday. If there is any turkey left after Sunday then during the following week there might be a night of cold sandwiches. Too much of anything kills the pleasure for me.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Our family can eat the same thing for days on end. If I make a pot of chili for Sunday's game, I'll have it for lunch and dinner for the next 4 days, and Mrs for the next 3, and my dad who lives with us will as well. Same for spaghetti, ribs, pork butt, whatever. Turkey, sure. Same with Easter ham. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Our family can eat the same thing for days on end. If I make a pot of chili for Sunday's game, I'll have it for lunch and dinner for the next 4 days, and Mrs for the next 3, and my dad who lives with us will as well. Same for spaghetti, ribs, pork butt, whatever. Turkey, sure. Same with Easter ham. 
    Cool! Then you are not amongst the folks who start hating turkey after having turkey, turkey sandwiches, turkey casserole, turkey soup, turkey hash etc.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Ron, I'm the same way with sweetcorn on the cob.  That first good ear in July is freaking delicious; by the end of the five-week or so season, I'm sick of it.  Until next July.  
    Living alone, I can have too many leftovers for lots of dishes, I pick and choose what I make and try to freeze some things (which usually get tossed after a year or so).  I don't cook a full turkey anymore, or even a turkey breast; a duck works much better for me.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @Botch: I'm with you. Cooking for one is a big challenge! I have a grown grandson living with me now for an undetermined length of time, and what a treat to actually cook and make new recipes when you have a human vacuum cleaner eating up what would have been leftovers! A bit expensive, but a real thrill, for as long as it lasts.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron I'm still cooking turkeys today =) I'm like a dog, I can just keep eating them.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @Botch: I'm with you. Cooking for one is a big challenge! I have a grown grandson living with me now for an undetermined length of time, and what a treat to actually cook and make new recipes when you have a human vacuum cleaner eating up what would have been leftovers! A bit expensive, but a real thrill, for as long as it lasts.

:lol:  My last GF had two teenagers, yeah you could try anything and only worry about doing the dishes at the end!  
    ;)  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I've been eating it since Thursday and am still loving. The clan is getting a bit weary, I have to admit.

Friday was all about the "Bobby" (thanksgiving sandwich with all the fixings) on a fresh Portuguese roll. 

Saturday rolled into enchiladas, all fancied up with goat cheese and fontina.

Working on stock and soup now, that's for tonight and lunches during the week and beyond. 

Using everything but the gobble!  

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Just but another 15lb. turkey for $9 yesterday at Sam's Club. I have 4 birds in the freezer. Hard to pass up 15 pounds of food for $9. Cheap enough to mess around with and try new recipes 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota