Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a 'ready to eat" ham

Options
In charge of bringing an additional meat the feast Thursday.

Is this a common practice?

How do you go about doing this?

Any advice is really appreciated. 
Atlanta, GA
GATA!

Comments

• Trixie_Belle
    Options
    I attended a holiday smoking class on Saturday.  We used a whole boneless uncut ham.  Decorated it with pineapple and cherries.  Smoked and glazed with your favorite glaze.  It was tasty.  I'm planning to do a ham on the Egg using this method.  Good luck!!!!  Here's a photo of the ham from class...

BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY
    Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral and worked out fine.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I smoked and re-heated a honey-baked ham a couple of years ago - it was extraordinary.  The meat on the outer part of the spirals gets a little bit dried out and almost Canadian bacony.  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    all hams sold in the US are pretty much "ready to eat".

the majority say "pre cooked", and so we are reheating.

i don't know of a commercially sold (big name) ham that is uncooked, but cured.  there may be some, just never see them

country ham is uncooked, and you can eat that raw if you want (sliced thin), like prosciutto.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You've gotta go with @mickey suggestion above.  Some of the best ham I've ever made!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.